PDA

View Full Version : Thank God for SMC Moderators

Reed Wells
07-06-2008, 2:21 PM
I just peeked in on another woodworking forum, and someone started a political debate that is really getting ugly! Too many forums out there just for that. Thanks to you mods for not allowing this to happen here.

Rich Konopka
07-06-2008, 4:00 PM
I have to agree with Mitchell and that there are real civil threads here at SMC. I consider this amazing since there is such a large online community from such a wide spectrum from around the World. The moderators have been very quick to keep threads on topic and off politics and the other hot topics. Credit should also be given to the members for honoring the TOS.

Thanks Moderators !!

Chris Ricker
07-06-2008, 9:51 PM
After seeing several such posts on other sites, I can always count on the Creek for woodworking discussion and posts.
If I want to talk politics or religion I can go elsewhere, this is the best place for what we want. WOODWORKING :)
Great job Guys
Keep it up

jerry nazard
07-06-2008, 10:18 PM
Well, the timing of this thread is most propitious (I was just now on "another" forum), and coincidental. I do get so awfully tired of the personal attacks that people seem so awfully eager to anonymously inflict on others.

As a newcomer to this forum, I have been so pleased to find a consistent willingness to stay on the topic of woodworking mixed with a dash of good natured camaraderie.

So... here I be!

-Jerry

Dennis Peacock
07-07-2008, 12:29 AM
Thank you. It's not easy moderating a forum and you do get quiet a few "non-fan mail PM's" from time to time. :rolleyes:

It's the membership, site admins, and the mods that make a forum be what it really needs to be. So each of you play as much a part of making SMC what it is as what we mods do. So.....Thank YOU too. :)

Chris Damm
07-07-2008, 11:25 AM
Most of the forums I go to either forbid politics or make it so you have to sign up to recieve those posts. It's easy to avoid them, you have the power to not read them.

John Schreiber
07-07-2008, 12:20 PM
Indeed. Thanks to the moderators. An impassioned discussion is one thing, but here at the Creek, the moderators keep it from getting out of hand.

Andy Hoyt
07-07-2008, 2:06 PM
There are other ww forums?

When did that happen? :D

Pat Germain
07-08-2008, 11:26 AM
I want to thank the mods especially for keeping things civil on SMC. I looked at multiple WW forums before landing here. I saw a lot of cranky people making downright hostile posts. I get enough hostility at work. I sure don't want any more of that when talking woodworking.

Glenn Clabo
07-08-2008, 11:36 AM
It's one of the reasons I still hang out here. I get enough grief at work...and the rest of the internet world is just too self righteous. This is simply a comfortable place to hide.
Of course...as mods...we read some amazing stuff. There are times when you wonder what people are thinking when they intrude into the comfort zone while hiding behind the computer screen.

John Schreiber
07-08-2008, 3:42 PM
Of course...as mods...we read some amazing stuff. There are times when you wonder what people are thinking when they intrude into the comfort zone while hiding behind the computer screen.
You guys should post "bloopers reel" with names removed of course. Perhaps only make it available to paying contributors. I'd love to see a sample of what our mods are saving us from. But then, what I'd see as funny, others would probably get upset about.

Reed Wells
07-08-2008, 4:23 PM
John, How about snippets from other forums?

John Schreiber
07-08-2008, 5:21 PM
John, How about snippets from other forums?
Good point. Back in Usenet days, I saw enough on-line attacking, trash talking and what must have been mental illness to last me forever.

Thanks be to Mod.

That was sacrilegious. Feel free to edit it out. I think that would be a first for me, except where a whole thread was taken out.

Dave Anderson NH
07-08-2008, 6:55 PM
In theory, like many other things, it's a great idea John. The reality is that probably 2/3 of the moderation is dull and boring reminders to folks that they should not post something and that they should review the Terms of Service. Most infractions are really minor.

On the other side of the coin, posting the Bowdlerized versions of inappropriate posts would often identify the miscreant pretty clearly and that's just not either nice or right. We try to value our members privacy and their reputations as we would like folks to value ours. Let's face it, on occasion all of us (including moderators) have a bad day, something sets us off, and we post something we regret. Most folks who suffer this affliction ever stray again and it wouldn't be very charitable for us Mods to rub their noses in it.

Ken Fitzgerald
07-08-2008, 10:45 PM
First....the Creek is the Creek because of the members/contributors and the civil attitude most want to use to exchange information.

The job of moderating is pretty dull and boring most of the time. On occassion it's get a little hairy. There is a lot more that goes on between the violators and the moderators behind the scenes that nobody but the Mods and Admins see. Sometimes some folks really get outrageous.

Thanks to the many members/contributors who make this a great CIVIL place to increase our w/w knowledge and to share our knowledge and maybe a little of our lives.