PDA

View Full Version : Cedar/Sales

Dan Williams
07-06-2008, 2:17 PM
I have 2 questions
(1) I like turning Red Cedar and was wondering if I can apply laquer over Varnish? The reason I am asking this is because the varnish has UV inhibitors in it and the Cedar seems to hold its color better but, it is very time consuming to apply several coats of varnish . So if I can put several coats of laquer over two coats of varnish That would be great.

If this will not work, what are your secrets as to applying a long lasting,durable high gloss finish?

(2) I signed a contract yesterday to sell my turnings at a local antique and craft mall and was hoping to get some advice on the do's and don'ts. And how to go about setting the right price on the turnings.
I don't want to lower the price on a piece as that wouldn't look good. This is my first experience selling my work so any advice you could give me would really help .

THANK YOU
Dan Williams http://www.woodturnersresource.com/yabbfiles/Templates/Forum/default/smiley.gif

P.S. I live in an will be selling in a town 16 miles from Wi. Dell's We get a lot of tourist from all over the country.

Gary Max
07-06-2008, 3:19 PM
I turn a bunch of Cedar-----Cedar hates sun----UV gaurd will help but that's all it will do.

Bill Bolen
07-07-2008, 10:21 PM
I don't think there is anything out there that will stop cedar loosing its red color and going to brown. I've even tried spar varnish (nautical stuff) but it only slowed the change down a bit. The only way I know to keep cedar red is to keep it out of the sun and who wants to live in the dark! ..Bill..

Nathan Hawkes
07-08-2008, 6:03 AM
I don't know about the color change, but I'm under the impression you can put lacquer over varnish, but not over oil based finishes, at least without using a dewaxed shellac "middle" layer to get it to stick--kinda like trying to put latex paint over oil without a primer.

Jim Becker
07-08-2008, 10:48 AM
Applying lacquer over anything except lacquer is likely to cause trouble...lacquer solvents will dissolve most other finishes. You might get away with it with a barrier layer of shellac if you are spraying the lacquer, but frankly, just using a few more coats of the varnish you are starting out with makes the most sense to me.

Nathan, varnish is generally an oil based finish.

Nathan Hawkes
07-08-2008, 2:27 PM
Applying lacquer over anything except lacquer is likely to cause trouble...lacquer solvents will dissolve most other finishes. You might get away with it with a barrier layer of shellac if you are spraying the lacquer, but frankly, just using a few more coats of the varnish you are starting out with makes the most sense to me.

Nathan, varnish is generally an oil based finish.

OOPS. I thought varnish (except for oil/varnish blends like waterlox, behlens salad bowl finish & the like) were alright--I know they contain petroleum distillates but I thought it was alright. Learn something new everyday. I've only lacquered a few pieces, and ended up wishing that I'd just put a few extra coats of varnish on, too!!!!