PDA

View Full Version : Air hose sources?

John Miliunas
04-20-2004, 11:10 PM
I've been using my little pancake compressor quite a bit, as of late, but quickly remembered why I often avoid it: That stupid air hose! It's one of those yellow "non-marring" type, which of itself is OK, but the thing just isn't pliable enough and then, trying to coil it back up is a real PITA!:mad: It seems to have a "memory" and if you try to coil it back up in *any* configuration other than exactly how it came uncoiled, certain expletives can be heard along with the process! :eek: Anyone have a recomendation and source for something a bit more compliant? Something in the 25' range is fine, as I can take the compressor to the work. LOML is getting a bit tired of the "noise" pollution which occurs when using and/or putting the stupid hose away! :cool:

Daniel Yourdon
04-20-2004, 11:15 PM
I bought all my compresor hoses from Harbor Freight. they ar florescent orange if you like that.I do as I use them on job sights and they are not easy to overlook. they coil up real nice also.

John Weber
04-20-2004, 11:24 PM
John,

I mostly use a couple coiled plastic hoses for normal around the shop use. One is a cheap Amflow, and the other is a little nicer Craftsman black coiled hose. For longer runs I had some orange type hose you see for sale everywhere, and I hated it for the reasons you have mentioned. I finally bought some Sears Best /Craftsman Rubber Hose and it is wonderful. It's normally $35, but on half price sale at least a couple types every year. It is much nicer then the cheap hose. I've also had some friends buy some red Goodyear hose off ebay and they have been very pleased.

John

Jim Harsha
04-20-2004, 11:27 PM
John, check out Coastal Tool (coastaltool.com) and Flexeel hoses. They are very light and very flexible. I really like using these as compared to the "standard" type. HTH

Dale Thompson
04-20-2004, 11:31 PM
Hey Spring,
Skip the cute colored stuff and just buy a length of plain black rubber hose. It not only remains flexible but it also resists UV much better than the "pretty" stuff. I have one with my "pancake" and it works fine. It also coils just fine, even in cold weather. :) Put a little "stache" glue on the fittings and they will NEVER leak. :D

One serious thought, if yours is so configured. Don't use teflon tape BEFORE the regulator. Fragments can break off and keep your regulator from closing properly. :( That is the truth - I SWEAR!?! :confused:

Dale T.

Mark Rios
04-21-2004, 5:00 AM
Not to argue with anyone but you might want to be a little careful with using "plain black rubber hose". Air hose usually has a mesh web molded into the wall to help the hose accept the high (125 and up) pressures that air compressors put out. The mesh also serves to confine any breaches in the wall of the hose to a small area should a breach occur. Not that the black rubber hoses can't be used at low pressures but "plain black rubber hose" just isn't made for use as high pressure hose.

I use the orange hose as well in my shop and it does okay for the use that I give it but when my father had body shops before he retired I remembered that they used really good quality rubber air hoses. You had to be careful that they didn't get run over too much and such but they were a real joy to use. Worth the price for their quality in a body shop but a little too pricey for me in my hobby.

Don Abele
04-21-2004, 7:43 AM
John, I use two kinds of hose. I have an auto-rewind spool with 25' of the soft red rubber hose on it (and love it), plus another 35' length of the same hose. But it's thick and adds weight to the back end of the nail guns. So for small stuff I often attach a 3/8" polyurethane coiled hose to the end. It's 25 feet long when stretched and very light. It coils back up to about 6 feet long. I've been using mine for about 2 years without complaint.

One word of warning - it is only rated to 100psi. So if your apt at leaving the regulator wide open, you need to be careful.

Here's a link to harbor freight where I bought mine (currently at $9.99): http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/Displayitem.taf?itemnumber=34065

They also sell it in a straight length of 50' (with 200 psi rating), by AmFlo for $15.99 (that's too much hose for my use though): http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/Displayitem.taf?itemnumber=47713

Matt Meiser
04-21-2004, 8:09 AM
I second the vote for a Flexeel hose. I bought one a few weeks ago and it is pretty amazing how light and flexible it is. I seriously think the connectors on the ends weigh more than the rest of the hose. I bought mine locally.

Jim Becker has a review on his web site: http://sawsndust.com/r-flexeel.htm

Jim Becker
04-21-2004, 8:38 AM
Yup...Flexeel cuts the mustard. No way I'd buy anything else at this point. Coastal Tool is a nice place to buy, also...good folks and excellent service.

John Miliunas
04-21-2004, 8:44 AM
Thanks for all the suggestions, guys! For whatever reason, I never cared for the coiled-type hoses. I guess if I had a plumbed air line, with numerous outlets (like maybe in the ceiling, for instance), then I'd probably have a couple of the coiled ones. But I don't and seeing as to how I'll be using it a lot for in the house projects, I'd prefer something which lays on the ground. I think the coiled ones could pose a tripping hazard. Me thinks I'll go for the Flexeel. Seems I've come across this brand once before, with someone giving it high marks. Thanks again, folks! :cool:

Kelly C. Hanna
04-21-2004, 10:33 AM
Probably too late John, but I use the red hoses from Home Depot. They can be coiled in any shape anytime of the year (even winter) and have very little memory. They are also guaranteed for 6 years. I've had mine for two and they look brand new. I can't remember the brand name, but they list for $30 for 50'.

Dan Mages
04-21-2004, 12:16 PM
You should look around Amazon.com for retractable air hoses. I have one and it works great! You pull out the length you want, and then give it a quick tug to wind it back up. They have a grizzly 50' for $80. The Grizzly catalog has a 33 ft reel for $40.

Dan

http://images.grizzly.com/grizzlycom/pics/H/H5684.jpg

Dean Baumgartner
04-21-2004, 1:35 PM
John,
Have you tried one of these things? The plastic hose/cord reel. Got at the big box works really well, it has a large enough diameter that the hose winds well on it.

Rob Littleton
04-21-2004, 2:39 PM
FLEXEEL............all the way..........

Nothing compares to it.............

Robert Ducharme
04-21-2004, 7:19 PM
For those of use with miles of hose already, a simple plastic garden hose holder attached to the wall works great. Costs $3 :)

Dale Thompson
04-21-2004, 8:57 PM
Not to argue with anyone but you might want to be a little careful with using "plain black rubber hose". Air hose usually has a mesh web molded into the wall to help the hose accept the high (125 and up) pressures that air compressors put out. The mesh also serves to confine any breaches in the wall of the hose to a small area should a breach occur. Not that the black rubber hoses can't be used at low pressures but "plain black rubber hose" just isn't made for use as high pressure hose.

I use the orange hose as well in my shop and it does okay for the use that I give it but when my father had body shops before he retired I remembered that they used really good quality rubber air hoses. You had to be careful that they didn't get run over too much and such but they were a real joy to use. Worth the price for their quality in a body shop but a little too pricey for me in my hobby.

Mark,
Actually, I was referring to plain old black rubber hose which is made for compressor application. I think that some of the real pricey stuff even has the outer cover "pin-pricked" to release any "minor" leak which could cause a catastrophic failure in the hose.

Anyway. Hey! We're talking about SPRING here. It's not like we were trying to protect Jennifer Lopez, Tanya Harding, Marie Antoinette or someone else who is IMPORTANT!?? :D :D :)

Sorry about the oversight and thanks for the correction. :o

Dale t.

nic obie
04-22-2004, 2:18 PM
John

If you are using a pancake style compressor, chances you can get a free air hose (or other tool of your choice).

http://www.aircompressorsettlement.com/

John Miliunas
04-22-2004, 2:36 PM
John

If you are using a pancake style compressor, chances you can get a free air hose (or other tool of your choice).

http://www.aircompressorsettlement.com/
Hey Nic, thanks for the "heads up"! I think I'm still probably going to go with the Flexeel, but I'll also check on the settlement, as well! :D The Flexeel would probably work best around the house/shop, but it looks like there are a number of "other" useful items one can select from. I'll have to check if my compressor qualifies! Coolness...:D :cool: