PDA

View Full Version : Eucalyptus lumber

Jay Jolliffe
07-06-2008, 1:23 PM
Has anyone used this wood to build furniture & if you have where could i get some. I'm proposing to a client to use this for some kitchen cabinets. I've found figured veneer for the doors & cabinet boxes. Now I want to know if I can get it in dimensional wood, if so where.

Jamie Buxton
07-06-2008, 2:37 PM
Eucalyptus is a huge family, with many members. I think the most common ones in lumber distribution are Jarrah and Lyptus. Jarrah is almost redwood color, but is a very dense and hard hardwood. Lyptus is plantation-raised in Brazil, and marketed in this country by Weyerhauser. It is kinda light-mahogany in color. Here in California, Blue Gum Eucalyptus has naturalized very successfully, and grows all over. It is occasionally available as lumber.

Bill Wyko
07-06-2008, 3:46 PM
You might try Woodworkers Source. They usually have a great selection of hardwoods.

Jim Becker
07-06-2008, 5:28 PM
Lewis Lumber in Mckees Rocks PA has been "specializing" in this species as a direct and economical replacement for mahogany, especially for build-in and other architectural needs. I've seen samples of the finished wood and it's outstanding in appearance. I know Per Swenson had a gleam in his eye at the same show for this stuff, but don't know if he has tried it out. (I have not used it simply because I pretty much stick to cherry)

rob durfos
07-06-2008, 7:09 PM
we are pulling about 1800 bf of iron bark eucalyptus out of the kiln this week. It is fletch cut ,4 qtr, 8 ft long.Pink-orange-yellow, very pretty.

Jamie Buxton
07-06-2008, 7:32 PM
we are pulling about 1800 bf of iron bark eucalyptus out of the kiln this week. It is fletch cut ,4 qtr, 8 ft long.Pink-orange-yellow, very pretty.

Where are you, Rob? Australia?

rob durfos
07-06-2008, 7:41 PM
southern california

Brian Kent
07-06-2008, 8:00 PM
Rob,

Is that your backyard home lumber kiln or a commercial enterprise?

Brian - So Cal

rob durfos
07-06-2008, 8:08 PM
We are tulepeaktimber.com

Brian Kent
07-06-2008, 8:37 PM
Rob, I checked out your site, only about 74 miles away. Very glad to find out about your business!

rob durfos
07-06-2008, 8:54 PM
Besides several types/colours of eucalyptus, we mill/dry all sorts of oddball small quantity woods.
Give us a call to arrange a visit.