PDA

View Full Version : Busted #5 stanley/baley

Ron Petley
07-05-2008, 11:58 PM
I bought a #5 stanly/baley when I got it home to clean it up I trmoved the blade and the frog is broken, any ideas where to find another one?
Cheers Ron

Jim Koepke
07-06-2008, 3:57 AM
I bought a #5 stanly/baley when I got it home to clean it up I trmoved the blade and the frog is broken, any ideas where to find another one?
Cheers Ron

In order to get the correct frog, you will need to know the right type.

Here is a good place to start:

http://www.antique-used-tools.com/Bailey4_5FrogCompare.jpg

For the type 9, I have one that has the tall rib on the base and the deeper groove on the frog, but does not have the adjustment fork pointed to in the image of the type 10 -15 frogs in the link above.

Frogs are not hard to come by, just getting one that is correct for the base could be a challenge. If it is one of the odd balls like mine, I would just get one for a type 10 and use it.

The type 5-8 have seating contact at the back only. Type 9 and later have the frog contact with the base at the front, by the mouth, and at the back.

There is one on eBay for type 10 and later and one for a type 9 currently. The one for the type 10 ends before noon east coast time.

There will be more. Figure out what type you need, some one here may have one they are willing to get rid of.

Hope this helps,

jim

Mike Brady
07-06-2008, 5:37 PM
I have a very nice type 11 frog if it will help you.

Mike B.

Ron Petley
07-06-2008, 8:34 PM
Jim Thank You for the help, I will have to examine it carefuly and match it to your photo, onec I figuer that out I will be good to go. Thanks for the offer Mike, if a 11 fits I will PM you.
Cheers Ron.

Ron Petley
07-07-2008, 9:40 PM
Jim: from your photo the one I have/need is in the 10-15 group.
Thanks for your help.
Mike PM sent.
Cheers Ron.

Mike Brady
07-08-2008, 6:43 PM
Ron, I don't show any PM's, although I haven't used that feature here. What should we do?.:confused: I have now sent you one with my e-mail attached.