PDA

View Full Version : wobble dado/molding cutter

Ken Tucker
07-05-2008, 9:59 PM
Hello , I have a sears 6" wobble dado blade and a molding cutter . good deal at a sale at sears , anyway someone told me that the molding cutter could ware the bearings out on the tablesaw. setting it up to instructions should be good anought right ? also do you think the wobble dado would do the same thing ?:confused:

Peter Quinn
07-05-2008, 10:04 PM
The old name for the wobble dado was the "Drunken Saw Blade". I think I'd have to be pretty drunk before I spun one in my saw at 3450RPM, all bobing and weaving around.

Do you see any one selling wobble dados anymore other than Sears? Ever wonder why not? And a wobble molder? Not even maybe on my saw.

John Keeton
07-05-2008, 10:31 PM
Ken may be talking about a molding head with cutters, not a wobble molder. Craftsman made one for several years - didn't know they were still being made. I have one that I will use rarely when I have to. Probably the most dangerous tool I have. It will do a couple of things that are difficult to do otherwise - so I hang on to it. I shudder and dread every time I use it.

Lee Schierer
07-06-2008, 2:38 PM
The wobble dado works just fine and won't damage your saw. Even though the blade wobbles, the entire unit is well balanced so the load on the bearings is constant. I have used mine for years on my craftsman saw and it works just fine. Read the literature that came with it to see if there are any rpm restrictions. I don't recall that there are.

The moulding head cutters are likewise balanced, but can be dangerous if used improperly. Take light cuts and make sure you use a zero clearance insert. Make sure you use your safety equipment (push sticks and guards).

Peter Quinn
07-06-2008, 2:58 PM
I can see using something like a Magic Molder from LMH, particularly with a power feed if possible. Looks like a serious unit. My Dad has a wobble dado and a craftsman molder head, neither of which I would ever consider using. I suppose the HP of a contractor's saw might cause a stacked dado to perform poorly? If not given the relatively low cost of a decent entry level stacked dado I'd have a hard time relying on a wobble unit.

Ken Tucker
07-06-2008, 4:13 PM
Yes, moulding head cutter . Thanks ,and I havent used it yet . I feel the same way you do.

Ken Tucker
07-06-2008, 4:22 PM
The wobble dado works just fine and won't damage your saw. Even though the blade wobbles, the entire unit is well balanced so the load on the bearings is constant. I have used mine for years on my craftsman saw and it works just fine. Read the literature that came with it to see if there are any rpm restrictions. I don't recall that there are.

The moulding head cutters are likewise balanced, but can be dangerous if used improperly. Take light cuts and make sure you use a zero clearance insert. Make sure you use your safety equipment (push sticks and guards).
Thanks , It looks like it is balanced . I have a over head gard to lower down on ether one . I would feel better if the gard wasnt plastic for the moulding head cutter the set screew looks like the will hold anougth . anyway thanks to all.