PDA

View Full Version : 8 inch jointers

John Nesbitt
07-05-2008, 6:54 PM
Help fellas. I need some advice and opinions. What tool is better: a Delta DJ-20 with standard 3 blade cutterhead, or a Grizzly 8 inch parallelogram jointer with a spiral cutterhead (GO490X)?

Thanks,

John Nesbitt

Clifford Mescher
07-05-2008, 7:20 PM
Cutting wood with skew usually gives cleaner finish. Clifford

John Nesbitt
07-05-2008, 7:35 PM
Fair enough. Any thoughts on the specific jointer? Thanks

Clifford Mescher
07-05-2008, 7:41 PM
Fair enough. Any thoughts on the specific jointer? Thanks
Only that I have heard more good things about Grizzly jointers then bad things. Clifford

CPeter James
07-05-2008, 7:49 PM
From those choices, the answer is obvious to me ( and I own a DJ20). It would be the Grizzly. Remember that they both come out of China and that they both have pretty good in country quality control. After that patents on the DJ20 ran out and everyone got into the act, Delta really cheapened them and only lowered the price a little. I have a Taiwanese version and it is only so-so in fit and finish. The Grizzly would have to be really bad to be worse than a Delta DJ20 is today.

Also, Grizzly has much better service than Delta.

BTW: I don't own any Grizzly, but do have some Delta.

CPeter

glenn bradley
07-05-2008, 8:18 PM
I have a G0490X and can't stop smiling every time I use it. The only Delta left in my shop is a DP, others have been replaced (and I'm still waiting on a part for the DP). :rolleyes: The Griz tables were so flat is was scary. I had a small flaw in the fence and they replaced it immediatly. Followed up my email about the fence with phone calls and emails to make sure everything was OK. Pretty impressive.

Peter Quinn
07-05-2008, 8:37 PM
I own an older delta DJ-20 (big american flag on the front) with a 3 knife cutter and am in no big hurry to get a spiral head. I mill mostly soft exotics like mahogany and sapele or domestics, I would like to get a set of carbide knives at some point. On the basis of which head type I'd say get the one which serves your needs and don't assume you need an index head, though it may serve your particular needs better.

I haven't used a grizzly or a new DJ-20 but given the state of CS and parts at Delta I doubt I will buy another machine from them in my lifetime. It seems like Grizzly is still working in ernest like a young company that wants to earn your business, Delta has devolved into a corporate side show of a bloated conglomerate seller of mid grade consumer goods. Sorry to be so harsh, but thats where I stand.

Short story: get the Grizzly or expand your search. Or buy a good older jointer on the second hand market and beat them both?

Rich Konopka
07-05-2008, 8:51 PM
I own an older delta DJ-20 (big american flag on the front) with a 3 knife cutter and am in no big hurry to get a spiral head. I mill mostly soft exotics like mahogany and sapele or domestics, I would like to get a set of carbide knives at some point. On the basis of which head type I'd say get the one which serves your needs and don't assume you need an index head, though it may serve your particular needs better.

I haven't used a grizzly or a new DJ-20 but given the state of CS and parts at Delta I doubt I will buy another machine from them in my lifetime. It seems like Grizzly is still working in ernest like a young company that wants to earn your business, Delta has devolved into a corporate side show of a bloated conglomerate seller of mid grade consumer goods. Sorry to be so harsh, but thats where I stand.

Short story: get the Grizzly or expand your search. Or buy a good older jointer on the second hand market and beat them both?

I have to ditto what Peter stated. I bought one of the last American Flag DJ20's and I am happy with it. I had a few issues with the setup but other than that it has been fine. I would take a serious look at the Grizzly if I was in the market. In addition, the president of Grizzly occasionally dips his toes in the creek and is an avid supporter. I have yet to see any presence of a Delatoid employee at the creek.

Larry Fox
07-05-2008, 11:43 PM
I own an older DJ-20 that I bought second-hand. Only way it is leaving my shop is if I can score a deal on a high-quality wider jointer. Thing works like a charm every time I go to use it. Setting / changing the knives absolutely sucks but I only need to do it every once in a while. Doing so gives me a good opportunity to make up some new curse words. :) I have no experience with the Grizz.

John Bush
07-06-2008, 1:10 AM
Hi John,
I had a PM 8" jointer(60B??) with three blade cutterhead and it was a fair to good machine. I had problems keeping the tables coplaner and would get tapered cuts. I got the Griz 609X 12"er with spiral cutterhead(carbid inserts) and I get far better finishes with it. I think the spiral head would be worth the extra $$$ for you. No need for sharpening and resetting blades and they handle squirrely grain well. I bought it at the showroom and all their jointers looked good, as well as most all their other goodies . Great value for the hobbiest. JCB.

Dan Gould
07-06-2008, 8:43 PM
Hi John

I've got the G490 and couldn't be happier. I researched jointers until my head hurt and after all was said and done...the Griz won out and it had to be one of the smartest decisions I've made....good luck in your search.

Dan

John Nesbitt
07-07-2008, 9:34 PM
Thanks everyone. I bit the bullet and got the GO490X. Lucked out on the price. Used the Microsoft/ebay rebate program and got a 25% rebate just for using the Live Search on MSN. You should try this for some big purchases if you can find them on ebay.

John

Wade Lippman
07-07-2008, 11:28 PM
Thanks everyone. I bit the bullet and got the GO490X. Lucked out on the price. Used the Microsoft/ebay rebate program and got a 25% rebate just for using the Live Search on MSN. You should try this for some big purchases if you can find them on ebay.

John

I got mine that way yesterday also. You didn't luck out, you were clever and resourceful. (at least that is my claim)