PDA

View Full Version : Thoughts on a Porter Cable 371K compact belt sander

Jeffrey Makiel
07-05-2008, 6:38 PM
Can anyone share their thoughts on a Porter Cable 371K compact belt sander? I'm lookin' for something that is more agressive to remove paint from exterior moldings whereas my larger 3x21 belt sander is to cumbersome and my random orbital sander or 1/4 sheet sander can't fit.

Does it have decent power using coarse grit belts? Does the belt track OK?

Thanks in advance! :)

-Jeff :)

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y84/Beff2/PCSander.jpg

Harley Reasons
07-05-2008, 7:27 PM
Can't answer your question as to performance, but FWIW the HD BORG has them on close out for $79.97. I sold the last one in a case we had today, tomorrow I"ll mark down the display (sans case & manual) and by Monday I'll be the proud owner of the display model.

Dale Lesak
07-05-2008, 8:14 PM
I have one and use it all the time. it's real handy because you can handle it with one hand. Draw backs. If you use it a lot it dose got real warm.15 to 20 min of continual use. it will take off a lot with the course belt. Don't know about paint removal. Dale

Chris Kennedy
07-05-2008, 8:18 PM
I have one and it is great. With coarse belts, it removes a lot of material fast. I haven't had the heat issue mentioned earlier, and I have run mine for at least 30 minutes at a time on several occasions.

Cheers,

Chris

Richard Spain
07-05-2008, 8:28 PM
Have you tried connecting a DC? I am courious as to the how this works.

Peter Quinn
07-05-2008, 8:43 PM
I have one and its a nice little belt sander. Decent DC, similar removal rate to any belt sander, just a smaller foot print.

For removing paint from old flat trim (or curved with the right scraper) I like the Speed Heater paint removal system. If you have lead in your paint you really need to be cautious about sanding, and even if you don't a belt sander can leave some pretty nasty marks that you will see on long runs of trim right through the paint.

Check out this link to see if this fits your needs.

http://www.silentpaintremover.com/

They sell some of the best profile scrapers I have used as well as speciality chisels for sash repair. Nice people too.

Jeff Duncan
07-07-2008, 10:52 AM
I have one I use for installs and it works great. I also haven't had the problem with excessive heat, though I've read quite a few posts of others who have. My concern would be using it for heavy duty work like what you seem to be describing. I'm not sure if it's cut out for that kind of extended use? In moderate use it tracks very well, but again if your planning on using it for hours at a time, I just don't know how it will hold up.
good luck,
JeffD

glenn bradley
07-07-2008, 11:07 AM
Very cool little machine. Gets hot with extended use (to where you can't hold it except by the knob). I have seen enough posts that say their sander doesn't get hot that I think this should be handled under warranty.

Doug Rogers
07-07-2008, 12:21 PM
For exterior paint removal I use the Wagner paint eater. It uses 3M abrasive discs that take the paint off and leave the wood ready to paint. It has worked well on our old house that we are fixing up to sell. I got mine at the orange Borg.

Doug Rogers

Mike Goetzke
07-07-2008, 1:16 PM
I bought one and it ran real hot and tracking didn't stay put - returned it. While wandering through the store saw the sander in a different box. It was labeled type a or b can't remember but was an updated version. I bought it. Runs hot but not a hot as my first one. If you use DC it runs much cooler. The belt tracking knob will move before your eyes as the sander runs - don't think the retaining spring is stiff enough. I just applied a drop of the very low strength loctite and the sanders been a dream since. I have it right next to my ROS and use it for the heavy removal. Since it is small/light/easy to hold there almost no chance to gouge the wood.

Mike

Randy Carnley
07-07-2008, 3:33 PM
I have one and absolutely love it. It does get hot with usage but does a great job. No problem with tracking so far.

Russ Sears
07-07-2008, 4:17 PM
The first time I fired mine up, it nearly took off across the room. It's got plenty of power and works great. I hook a shop vac up and have minimal dust.
I should mention that I, ahem, gotmineforfreeinaPCcontest, but I would buy one in a hearbeat.

jason lambert
07-07-2008, 4:30 PM
Good little sander, had one loved it.

Dave Lehnert
07-07-2008, 5:17 PM
I was doing a little research on this sander in the last week or so on the Internet. Some say there is a problem with the drive belt breaking and it is not replaceable or you have to take it in to a service center for the repair that cost $$$$. I don't remember where I read it so do a search of your own and see how much a problem it is.

Travis Rassat
07-08-2008, 10:54 AM
I've had one for a couple of months now, and I like it, although I consider it a nice complement to a bigger belt sander.

I think it has good power. With a shop vac hooked up to it, the dust collection seems to work really well. It does get a bit warm, but not too bad. As far as the belt tracking goes, I do have to adjust mine quite often. I just keep an eye on it.

There doesn't seem to be a lot of 2 1/2" x 14" belts on the market yet. While they're not outrageously priced, I'd still like the opportunity to try something other than the Porter-Cable brand belts. On the other hand, I'm still using the PC belt that came with it, and it's holding up pretty well.

Curt Harms
07-08-2008, 4:40 PM
[quote=Travis Rassat;885949....
There doesn't seem to be a lot of 2 1/2" x 14" belts on the market yet. While they're not outrageously priced, I'd still like the opportunity to try something other than the Porter-Cable brand belts. On the other hand, I'm still using the PC belt that came with it, and it's holding up pretty well.[/quote]

There aren't a lot but I got some from Industrial Abrasives in Reading, PA. Less than $1/each. I got some belts for the Performax 16-32 at the same time so shipping was reasonable.
https://commerce.riverweb.com:8003/contact.html

HTH

Curt