PDA

View Full Version : Drill Press Bench vs Floor Types (or other) for Accuracy

Mike Shields
07-05-2008, 3:09 PM
I'm trying to determine the best method/tool for drilling 30" x 3/4" particle board on end. The holes must be as accurate as possible to align correctly with the tops and bottoms that have been pre-drilled.

My old Craftsman bench top is possible, if I rotate the motor assembly on the support post, material length is only limited to bench height. However, this thing has a belt and pulleys that make this thing usable as a mixer. I wish I was able to measure the runout.

I have a hand-held drill guide that is absolute junk. Even if my drill has no run-out, the two rail guides are the weak link. And then, I'll still have to triple up the material, to have an adequate support area for the guide.

I've determined to put my project on hold till I can increase the accuracy.

1. Does anyone know of a variable-speed bench top that is the king at having minimal spindle runout that also is able to be rotated off-center?

2. Is it possible to decrease the runout on a multi-pulley DP just by changing the belt? Of course, I'm assuming the spindle is not adding to the runout, and therefore I have not considered fixing that too.

I just can't see spending $900 on a floor model, especially when most are not var. spd., and the overall quality is sub-par.

Check out my set up. Kinda rigged, but under the circumstances, it's the best I could do.

http://i269.photobucket.com/albums/jj44/BigMike1911/IMG_0061.jpg

Excellent forum and TIA!

Mike in Denver.

jerry nazard
07-05-2008, 4:27 PM
"Check out my set up. Kinda rigged, but under the circumstances, it's the best I could do."

Mike,

Your set up looks great. I have a bench model Delta that I have had for years. I occasionally set it up as you have and it works just fine. If the only problem you are having is run-out, you might try reducing the size of the bit until you get the proper finished hole size.

Best!

-Jerry

Leo Graywacz
07-05-2008, 5:21 PM
Ever think about just investing in a dowel drilling jig? Seems like a much better way to drill the holes than you setup.

glenn bradley
07-05-2008, 8:23 PM
Skip the new DP, get a doweling jig.

Mike Shields
07-05-2008, 11:04 PM
No, I've not considered a doweling jig.

I just did some quick surfing for the jig and:

my concern is with the length of the bits that I'm using (off the shelf)
that the jig will prevent deep drilling.

Jim Becker
07-06-2008, 10:00 AM
Theoretically, the "accuracy" of a drill press should have nothing to do with the bench vs floor decision. A quality tool should have minimal or no run-out and bore "accurate" holes. The reality is, however, that with some exceptions, many bench top DPs have less features and capacity...and take up more shop space 'cause you need to keep them on the bench. A floor model can be stuck in a corner somewhere and easily moved with a simple hand truck out into the work area. And many of these have much better features and capacities without having to spend a mint.

brett gallmeyer
07-06-2008, 1:57 PM
I have a Craftsman benchtop drill press. I have had very good results with my purchase. I made a special moveable table for it. Here is the thread.

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=87397

Scott Haddix
07-07-2008, 7:16 PM
No, I've not considered a doweling jig.

I just did some quick surfing for the jig and:

my concern is with the length of the bits that I'm using (off the shelf)
that the jig will prevent deep drilling.

If you use a doweling jig and are not able to get the depth required, you should still get plenty of depth to get the hole aligned properly, so you can then remove the jig and finish the drilling with a hand drill. Unless you are doing this regularly, the extra few minutes is a small price to pay for the difference in cost of a jig versus a new drill press.

Rob Will
07-07-2008, 9:16 PM
I would get a dowelling jig or better yet, a Domino.

Rob

Pete Bradley
07-07-2008, 10:04 PM
Runout is insignificant in the context of boring holes in the end of a particle board. I would expect your current setup to be time consuming and subject to vibration. A cheapo doweling jig would be faster and easier.

Pete