PDA

View Full Version : re-veneering front door

Buddy Clark
07-05-2008, 11:09 AM
The mahogany veneer on my front door is showing its age. I want to take the door down and scrape off and replace the old veneer. My problem is that I can't get the pins out of the hinges. The hinges (Hager) are not the standard free floating pin hinges. I think they are ball bearing hinges. The pin has a small hole (1/32") at the bottom, but trying to pop the pin out by hammering a small nail up the bottom hole doesn't work. I have fully opened the door to look at the hinges and do not see any set screws. I checked the Hager web site, but did not see any helpful information. I would like to avoid unscrewing the hinges from the door frame in order to get the door down to work on it.

William OConnell
07-05-2008, 11:20 AM
The mahogany veneer on my front door is showing its age. I want to take the door down and scrape off and replace the old veneer. My problem is that I can't get the pins out of the hinges. The hinges (Hager) are not the standard free floating pin hinges. I think they are ball bearing hinges. The pin has a small hole (1/32") at the bottom, but trying to pop the pin out by hammering a small nail up the bottom hole doesn't work. I have fully opened the door to look at the hinges and do not see any set screws. I checked the Hager web site, but did not see any helpful information. I would like to avoid unscrewing the hinges from the door frame in order to get the door down to work on it.

Theres probaly an allen key in there. Often on exterior doors there a cap that you need to take off before you can punch the pins

Paul Girouard
07-05-2008, 11:49 AM
Yup they could be NRP ( Non-Removable Pin ) type hinges. Hager's that I used and seen are generally cheap hinges so have a pressed ( I think thats the right term) pin that is intended to be Non-removable ever and you do need to pull the hinge screws to get them off.

The NRP's generally have a set screw thru one of the leaf knuckles , a allen screw as has been mentioned.

I think you'll find removing the hinges will be the "easy" part of the job. Generally if that veneer is shot the door core is as well , or will be after you rip off the "loose" veneer , as some of it will be stuck very well.

What the replacement plan ?

Good luck , you'll be needed it I think.