PDA

View Full Version : Filling Nail Holes

Burt Alcantara
07-05-2008, 10:20 AM
I have a lot of nail holes to fill. They will be painted over so color is no problem. I also have buckets of wood dust. Is there a formula for making wood putty or is there a product I can buy?

Thanks,
Burt

John Keeton
07-05-2008, 10:38 AM
Recently requested and received a sample of a new product called Timbermate and found it to be superior to others I have used in the past. It is from Australia, about the same consistency as some of the more popular brands, but doesn't shrink at all. I used it in a stained project and it took the stain perfectly. Our local Woodcraft carries it, or it is available from other sources as well. I am sure it would do great in a painted project. Standard disclaimer - no affiliation with Timbermate.

Paul Girouard
07-05-2008, 10:38 AM
http://media.mydoitbest.com/imagerequest.aspx?sku=790264&size=2&warehouse=C&newsize=200

Simple, fast , filler for paint grade work.

You could use glue and saw dust , just mix a small amount with glue and put it in the holes BEFORE it dries then sand the area to get rid of the excess. It will take longer and not be as good a job.

The one time you can make a "bag" out of painters plastic / saran wrap if you want I've seen painters do that. I just dip it out of the plastic can then a very light pass with some old sand paper and your ready to paint.

Well wipe it down ( damp rag / almost a dry rag really) or blow it off first.

Clifford Mescher
07-05-2008, 10:56 AM
Recently requested and received a sample of a new product called Timbermate and found it to be superior to others I have used in the past. It is from Australia, about the same consistency as some of the more popular brands, but doesn't shrink at all. I used it in a stained project and it took the stain perfectly. Our local Woodcraft carries it, or it is available from other sources as well. I am sure it would do great in a painted project. Standard disclaimer - no affiliation with Timbermate.
Heard some pro's about Timbermate at another bulletin board. Not one con, yet. Clifford

William OConnell
07-05-2008, 11:23 AM
My best painter uses window glazing for nail holes. It dries fast sands well and doesn't shrink. It cheap enough at hardware and box stores

Burt Alcantara
07-05-2008, 11:58 AM
Great replies.

Thanks,
Burt

Rich Konopka
07-05-2008, 9:04 PM
If the painted wood is going outside I would reconsider using spackle. I used it on a painted arbor and it popped a few months later due to the humidity. I have heard that you should use auto body filler for outdoors. Anyone care to weigh in on this?

John Keeton
07-05-2008, 9:19 PM
I would think spackle would absorb any available moisture and disintegrate rather quickly once moist. Auto body filler has been mentioned in various articles I have seen, but never used it outside. Glazing compound is a good exterior hole filler, but only if the individual using it is accustomed to that product. Good painters make it look good, mediocre painters make it look BAD!

Peter Quinn
07-05-2008, 9:37 PM
If the painted wood is going outside I would reconsider using spackle. I used it on a painted arbor and it popped a few months later due to the humidity. I have heard that you should use auto body filler for outdoors. Anyone care to weigh in on this?

Bondo comes in a few formulas, the standard absorbs water, they make a waterproof version that I have never seen in regular stores. For exterior work regular Bondo is a nightmare. The wood around it moves, it does not. It absorbs water then kicks the paint off itself. And it does shrink a bit.

Body filler is an epoxy, and as such it is messy to work with, it smells, its fumes are dangerous, and it is not easy to sand. The wood around it seems to give up before it does. I've used it to repair deep defects on interior paint grade work on flat surfaces that can be machine sanded. It makes a very durable patch, bit I think for minor nail holes I'd use almost anything else.

Karl Brogger
07-05-2008, 10:50 PM
For painted stuff I like Bondo. Sets super hard and fast.

Charles Seehuetter Panama City
07-06-2008, 7:26 AM
I use Durham's Rock Hard Water Putty http://www.waterputty.com/
on both indoor and ourdoor projects for anything that is to be painted or with a natural (light colored) varnish. I've also mixed stain with it to on stained pieces. The beauty of it is that it's a powder you mix with water so it lasts forever as long as you keep it dry until ready to use. When used outside is seems to last forever. about 15 years ago I had to fill a knot hole in a yellow pine 2X6 and it's still there. It takes a little practice learning not to add to much water when mixing but sands and drills like hard wood. I buy it at Lowes.

http://www.waterputty.com/assets/canbck.gif

Jim Becker
07-06-2008, 9:56 AM
Since you'll be painting, it's important that any filler you use be something that is very non-shrinking. Pro painters use a putty that stays soft and doesn't shrink.

Burt Alcantara
07-06-2008, 11:35 AM
Can't get any of the products mentioned here locally. Will try to get something similar based on the information supplied in this thread.

Once again, thanks for all the good information and suggestions,
Burt

Jim Becker
07-06-2008, 5:32 PM
Burt, go to a "real" paint store. (Sherwin Williams, Benjamin Moore, etc.) They should have painter's putty available.

Larry Prince
07-06-2008, 6:14 PM
I have a lot of nail holes to fill. They will be painted over so color is no problem. I also have buckets of wood dust. Is there a formula for making wood putty or is there a product I can buy?

I would opt for Wunderfill from Rockler. It's water based, dries fairly quickly and sands quite easily. Takes paint well too. It will shrink a bit in drying so either overfill or do a 2nd coat. For me, the 2nd coat is easiest.
Oh, and you can hasten the drying with a hairdryer.