PDA

View Full Version : Box Lining w/Foam

Tommy Emmons
07-04-2008, 11:40 PM
I want to line some boxes and drawers with foam that has cutouts for various tools. Does anyone have any suggestions for cutting the cavity in which the tool will rest? I know that you can take two layers and cut the top layer with an exacto or such, but if I want to vary the depth, I don't know how to do that. Any suggestions on how to cut the contour of the depth? I know this is not woodworking related per se, but it is a distant cousin, three times removed by marriage. Thanks.

Bruce Page
07-05-2008, 12:07 AM
Tommy, what kind of foam are you talking about?
To cut foam rubber sheet, take an old kitchen knife and quickly run the edge across a grinding wheel. What you’re after is a rough edge, not a pretty grind. The knife will cut the foam like butter.
For Styrofoam, I’ve never tried this but I have read that you can place the tool on the foam and slowly drip acetone on it and the tool will sink into the foam. It sounds like a sticky mess to me!

regis helaine
07-05-2008, 2:22 AM
if you want to do different depth then the easiest way if to get thin foam and cut one or more layer depending on the depth you want.

Amateur telescope maker use that technic to cut foam.
http://www.astrosurf.com/altaz/dobpolyst_e.htm

Doug Shepard
07-05-2008, 7:22 AM
Do a google search of SMC. I cant recall the name of the stuff but it was mentioned here on a few posts maybe 6-8 months ago (could be wrong on the timing). But the foam you want is one that wont require any cutting. You just press the tool into it and it will conform to that shape. I was fitted for some arch support inserts by my foot Dr. a while back and it's the same type of foam I had to stand on to make a negative for the inserts to be made from.

Doug Shepard
07-05-2008, 7:48 AM
Hey - finally found the junk tho it took a while.
Looks like it's called Bio-foam or Impression foam
Here's a sample pic
http://scientificsonline.com/product.asp?pn=3081113&sid=2008FS&eid=2008FS&mr:trackingCode=42641B17-E449-DD11-AFF6-000423C27502&mr:referralID=NA&bhcd2=1215258272

Clifford Mescher
07-05-2008, 9:33 AM
Clicked your link Doug. Could get expensive? Clifford

Lee Koepke
07-05-2008, 9:47 AM
i think this months Shop Notes did a similar project. They used masonite or 1/4 mdf, if i remember...

Brian Smith3
07-05-2008, 11:12 AM
You can find some of the soft black foam and trying to cut it, or try to find a camera shop that uses precut squares you pull out, but getting different depths is problematic. Normally if you want use the flexible foam it's built in layers and the sheets are die cut. If you have $500 or so to spend you can find a shop that will make a one off for you.

I think your best bet would be to use a rigid polystyrene foam. The rigid styrene is cut using a hot wire. You can build a template out of 1/4" hardboard and form the wire to the depth you want. Then you need to cover it using a light coat of normal white glue and felt or whatever.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hot-wire_foam_cutter

Jason Beam
07-05-2008, 12:21 PM
I wonder if this would work...

Take a thick piece and mark carefully the outline of the shape you want to cut. Then on the scrollsaw, cut out that shape and save the plug. Take that plug and make whatever marks needed to cut a "floor" for the hole you cut out of the original piece. Cut that contour and then shove it back into the hole you cut from the larger portion.

Can a scrollsaw cut the foam you're after? I dunno.

I have seen stiffer foams that i'm sure a scrollsaw wouldn't have any trouble cutting through but I couldn't even begin to guess where you might be able to get it. It's real stiff stuff, not soft and squishy like foam rubber.