PDA

View Full Version : It's the 4th of July Right....

Peter Stahl
07-04-2008, 9:42 PM
But not at my house, today was Ground Hog day. Looked out in my back yard and my Jack Russell Terror was eying up a ground hog. I chased the dog in the house and went back out to see where it went being I have a 6 foot fence. Walked all around the tree in the corner of the yard looking to see where it went. Didn't know the little suckers could climb. Took a couple pictures before I chased it out of the yard with a garden hose. If laughing hysterically was help then my wife gave me a lot of it. Had one very wet and scared ground hog running away though the neighbors yard. Couple pics attached of the varmints involved.

Jim Becker
07-04-2008, 9:46 PM
Yes, they can climb. I witnessed this quite a few times in the tree that was just off the deck that was in the location now consumed by our new addition.

Peter Stahl
07-04-2008, 9:49 PM
He came down faster then he went up when the water hit him. I was affraid he would hurt the dog or vise versa.

Joe Chritz
07-04-2008, 11:43 PM
If that jack is anything like the brush coat jack we have he is a natural born killer. A ground hog would be no match at all. I have seen mine take on a full size raccoon before.

With all the critters and animal feed we have floating around furry little varmints are fair game around these parts.

The dog needs a cookie for a job well done.

Joe

Peter Stahl
07-05-2008, 7:39 AM
If that jack is anything like the brush coat jack we have he is a natural born killer. A ground hog would be no match at all. I have seen mine take on a full size raccoon before.

With all the critters and animal feed we have floating around furry little varmints are fair game around these parts.

The dog needs a cookie for a job well done.

Joe

He gets a rabbit that gets in once in a while but this ground hog was a first. Didn't want a vet visit or worse yet him getting killed.

Michael Wetzel
07-05-2008, 7:48 AM
Groundhogs are excellent climbers. In fact you can find them in mulberry trees eating the berries when they are ripe. Groundhogs can be a mean fight for a dog, their rather large front teeth can do some major damage.

Matt Ocel
07-05-2008, 10:33 AM
Use to have a whistle pig aka woodchuck aka ground hog as a pet.
My wife would use it when she did animal educational programs.
He was very affectionate and got along well with our dogs as we got him when he was about the size of a plumb.
However, if he ever detected the scent of another dog on my person he would go bizerk.
They and dogs are mortal enimies.

David G Baker
07-05-2008, 11:12 AM
There were two adults and three young groundhogs eating the neighbors cabbage plants and carrot tops in their garden. They called and asked if I would live trap them. It took four days before I got one adult and the three young ones. They caught the other adult. We transported them to a college nature area and released them.
I did a little reading on groundhogs and found out that they can be very destructive to property so it looks like we did a good thing.

julie Graf
07-05-2008, 11:40 AM
oh yes, we had a groundhog that LOVED a mulberry tree - and tormented my dog because it was just over the fence. but she got one of his relatives down the street one day, and now she is obsessed with groundhogs. doesn't bother with squirrels anymore, she's got her eyes on the "ground squirrel" now...

Dennis Peacock
07-05-2008, 12:10 PM
Yummmmm....Groundhog....not just for breakfast any more. :p :rolleyes:

Maybe you could send that groundhog to chase off the moles in my yard. :)

Peter Stahl
07-05-2008, 12:41 PM
I'm hoping it was a fluke and He won't be back but if He does come back I'll send him your way Dennis. This the first one I saw in the neighborhood and hope it was the last. Houses are pretty close together, not a old neighborhood you would expect to have them. Not even enough trees yet to have squirrels.