PDA

View Full Version : Letter Openers

Mike Peace
07-04-2008, 8:58 PM
I made these today from 3/4" Cocobola about 9" long. I turned the blade to a taper, trimmed on a Bandsaw and finished up with a belt sander and some hand sanding. I Beall buffed and put on some Reanaissance wax.

With all of the horror stories I have heard about Cocobola causing severe reactions, turning it tends to make me a little cautious. I wear a nuisance dusk mask and keep the DC going. And wash my hands afterwards. Hope that is enough.

Gary Max
07-04-2008, 9:30 PM
These are on my list of things to make. We have had several folks ask from them. Oh I break out from Coco----but I still make pens from it.

Bernie Weishapl
07-04-2008, 11:19 PM
Great looking openers Mike. I really like your design especially being all wood. I have made a couple but it was only the handles. Hope you don't mind I think I will give your idea a try. Well done.

Steve Schlumpf
07-04-2008, 11:36 PM
Look really nice Mike! I like the choice of wood and all the detail work on the handles. Would make great gifts!

Mike Peace
07-04-2008, 11:49 PM
I really like your design especially being all wood. I have made a couple but it was only the handles. Hope you don't mind I think I will give your idea a try. Well done.

Bernie, thanks for the kind words but I have to give credit to Jim Underwood for the basic design. He had posted some of his on the AWG Members Gallery. My first one looked like a small sword so I went looking for something a little more delicate looking. These are very easy to turn.

Alan Huey
07-05-2008, 1:47 AM
Really nice. I haven't tried turning Coco. Have made several beautiful "trinket" boxes out of it. Some folks have a reaction, but you are doing the right things.