PDA

View Full Version : What the heck is this all about??

Dave Cottrell
07-04-2008, 5:52 PM
Are these things really that good???

EBAY item number 350074494123

Maybe I should empty out the drawer a little??

Frank Guerin
07-04-2008, 7:16 PM
Not worth it to me. I have various chisels by various makers and they all do the job. Some sharpen easier, some hold an edge longer but they all do the same thing. I'm not a tool collector, just a want to be fine furniture builder.

Rick Whitehead
07-04-2008, 7:30 PM
They are very good chisels, but their appeal is more to collectors than users.

Clint Jones
07-04-2008, 7:39 PM
I dont know but I think Im gonna be rich! Off to ebay. Lol!

Mike Cutler
07-04-2008, 8:43 PM
I dont know but I think Im gonna be rich! Off to ebay. Lol!

Let's hope ya' do bro'.;)

Now being somewhat ignorant, (meaning without knowledge), to the collectability of tools. What makes these particular chisels so valuable?

Obviously they have a value, or the bid would not be standing where it is.

Mike Henderson
07-04-2008, 8:46 PM
Sometimes people go crazy. I was watching a Keen Kutter K4 just recently - I have one and was interested in what they're selling for - and two guys got in a bidding war and it went to $103 - which is a ridiculous price for a #4 since they're so common. If I could have contacted the second guy I would have offered him mine.

Mike

Gary Herrmann
07-04-2008, 11:41 PM
Its almost a spectator sport. I don't know what the ingredients are, but sometimes auctions just go insane. This one is a pretty good example.

Mike Henderson
07-05-2008, 1:47 AM
If you want to see another one, take a look at 180259561507 - 12 Swan chisles for $755. Yes, that's seven hundred fifty-five dollars for 12 chisels, about $63/chisel - and the reserve has not been met!

Mike

glenn bradley
07-05-2008, 1:48 AM
The seller has got to be happy. I hope the buyer is. If so great but, that was way out of line ;-) Somebody lost their head if you ask me.

Jim Koepke
07-05-2008, 2:13 AM
I agree, someone just has too much money.

I did not see the SW Heart on any of the everlasting chisels. I have held them, and do not even like the handles on them. Because of the shaft through the handle, I do not know if they can be replaced.

I am also amazed at the Swan chisels. The guy seems to want a premium price for a not so premium assortment. Some look like the handles are ill fitting. Some look to have minor mushrooming of the sockets. Many of the handles have their leather damaged or missing.

Maybe it is just that a bunch of collectors got their "spend this money now" checks from the gov'ment all at the same time.

jim

Roger Nixon
07-07-2008, 12:53 PM
Sometimes people go crazy. I was watching a Keen Kutter K4 just recently - I have one and was interested in what they're selling for - and two guys got in a bidding war and it went to $103 - which is a ridiculous price for a #4 since they're so common. If I could have contacted the second guy I would have offered him mine.

Mike

That doesn't sound out of line if it was in nice condition. The K4 is an early round top Bed Rock and there are quite a few collectors of them.

Mike Henderson
07-07-2008, 1:47 PM
That doesn't sound out of line if it was in nice condition. The K4 is an early round top Bed Rock and there are quite a few collectors of them.
I have a K4 and didn't pay nearly that on eBay. Also, I've watched them for a while and don't see them going that high, especially K4's since they're fairly common. Even Vaughan and Bushnells, which are also the early Bedrock design and have a (unbreakable) forged steel body don't often go that high for a #4 (a 904 in V&B). The only ones I see going that high are the Winchester W4's, which are also the early Bedrock design, but fairly rare.

Mike

Gary Herrmann
07-08-2008, 5:57 PM
Wow. Another MF Langdon miter box. Last one went for over 200, this one is already over 330. Item 200235057073