PDA

View Full Version : which chuck?

Alan Huey
07-04-2008, 3:29 PM
I am in the market for a new chuck. Interested in everyone's views. I like the looks of the Oneway Talon. Any input, good/bad/??:confused:
Are there better choices out there?

Curt Fuller
07-04-2008, 3:44 PM
You won't regret buying the Oneway Talon, or any of the Oneway chucks. But the SuperNovaII (teknatool), Axminster, Vicmar are all equally good. They use an insert that can be changed to fit different sized lathe spindles which makes them upgradable if you change lathes. Some of the less expensive chucks are also good for the money. The Pennstate Barracuda and the Craftsupplies Apprentice are about the same chuck and come with a good assortment of jaws but are limited to only a 1 x 8 spindle with a 3/4 x 16 adaptor. I have a Barracuda that I use on a small Delta Midi and it's plenty of chuck for the small lathe.

Before you buy one, look over the selection of jaws that are available and see if they match the type of turning you plan to do, check the price, and watch for the sales on the various woodturning supply sites and on Amazon.

Bernie Weishapl
07-04-2008, 6:37 PM
I agree with Curt. You can't go wrong with any he mentioned. I have the Vicmarc VM 100 because of the selection of jaws and the Jaws fit the Grizzly chuck for $99. I bought 3 of them just so I wouldn't have to change jaws.

Steve Schlumpf
07-04-2008, 11:49 PM
Alan - I have the Oneway Talon and love it! I have and use the #1, #2, #3 and the mini-jumbo jaws. I am very happy with the Talon but know that a lot of folks here are very happy with the chucks that Curt and Bernie suggested. As long as you buy quality - you'll be happy with whatever chuck you choose.

Jim Becker
07-06-2008, 9:46 AM
I have been using the Talon for many years now...first on a OneWay 1018 lathe and now on my Stubby 750. It's reliable and I really like the jaw design of the OneWay product. It fills my needs for just about anything I turn. Should I start doing things that are "really big", I'll buy a large chuck just for that, but the Talon will remain my go-too chuck for everyday turning. Like Steve, I have several jaw sets including the #1 spiggot jaws, the #2 standard jaws and the #3 large jaws.

keith zimmerman
07-06-2008, 9:09 PM
I own 3 Talons, one for each of 3 jaws sets (#1, #2, and flatjaws). I also own a Nova Precision for my Cole Jaws. And, I own one of the cheap Grizzlys that isn't much good for anything except carrying my homemade offcenter screw drive.

I really like the Talon and is the workhorse on my Jet mini.

keithz

Brad Hammond
07-07-2008, 8:35 PM
just to add to the confusion, i have a nova and a talon. love them both. the only difference in the two is the direction you turn the key to tighten and loosen the jaws. the talon is "righty tighty, lefty loosey". the nova is opposite. drives me batty sometimes, but i've had zero probs out of either chuck.

Curt Fuller
07-07-2008, 8:53 PM
just to add to the confusion, i have a nova and a talon. love them both. the only difference in the two is the direction you turn the key to tighten and loosen the jaws. the talon is "righty tighty, lefty loosey". the nova is opposite. drives me batty sometimes, but i've had zero probs out of either chuck.

I think that's because the Nova is built down under in Australia. Someone told me once that water spins the other direction when it goes down a drain south of the equator too, but I don't know if they were pulling my leg or not. :cool:

Alan Huey
07-16-2008, 11:10 PM
Thanks Everyone!!
I have it. Now only need the time to try it out. Really like the looks of it.