PDA

View Full Version : My son's newest interest

dave barnhart
07-04-2008, 3:02 PM
Finally, a hobby that isn't going to cost me $$$$!:D He has decided to get into turning. This is his first project (with a little help from me). He is 14yo.

Hopefully I can keep him interested in this long enough to make the relatives' Christmas presents for this year.

Seasoned limb wood (species?). I had him use only a gouge, hollowing gouge, and parting tool. Ok, sandpaper to finish.

lynn smith
07-04-2008, 3:06 PM
That's awesome
beautiful piece

Ken Fitzgerald
07-04-2008, 3:35 PM
Nice first project!

So you don't think a 2nd lathe and 2nd never ending set of tools isn't gonna cost you?:confused:

Larry Browning
07-04-2008, 4:14 PM
I was sure I was going to see a picture of a girl.:D

Bernie Weishapl
07-04-2008, 6:40 PM
Great looking first project. Tell him he did well.

Yep Ken he just thinks he is getting away with it. Wait till the boy decides he really wants to turn and dad doesn't have any time on the lathe.:eek::D:rolleyes::cool:

Steve Schlumpf
07-04-2008, 8:43 PM
Dave - congrats on being able to share one of your hobbies with your son! Be sure to let him know that he did a great job on his first turning - make sure he signs and dates it for future reference! Hopefully we'll be seeing lots more of his work real soon! Have fun teaching him!

Clara Koss
07-05-2008, 9:03 PM
make him a member and let him show off his stuff....he'll enjoy it more and feel more part of the woodworking family...very nice young man!!!!