PDA

View Full Version : Two Boats

Dave Richards
04-20-2004, 9:34 AM
All that's left is to finish the mattress and install the pennies on the stand. Well, I only have one penny so far but it's a start.

On the window ledge (and in the inset) is the sailboat my wife made when she was three.
http://www.woodshopphotos.com/albums/Dave-R1s-Album/cradle.sized.jpg

John Miliunas
04-20-2004, 9:43 AM
On the window ledge (and in the inset) is the sailboat my wife made when she was three.
http://www.woodshopphotos.com/albums/Dave-R1s-Album/cradle.sized.jpg
Whew! Glad it wasn't one of your prototypes! :eek: The real deal sure turned out nice! Excellent work, Dave!:D :cool:

Todd Burch
04-20-2004, 9:46 AM
Hey Dave!! You've finally given birth to a cradle!! WOO-HOO!! Looks great! You don't live in earthquake country to you? ;)

Tyler Howell
04-20-2004, 10:19 AM
Too Nice Dave,
Fair winds and following seas!

Dave Richards
04-20-2004, 11:23 AM
Thanks guys.

John, I never paint my prototypes. :D

Todd, fortunately there's not much chance of an earthquake around here. We have discovered that the dog likes to stand next to the cradle and wag her tail which causes it to rock. We'll have to see how baby feels about that.

Tyler, thanks for the good wishes.

(BTW, got the mains'l bent on last night. ;) )

Chris Padilla
04-20-2004, 11:44 AM
Very nice and original, Dave...I likes it! :)

Robert Ducharme
04-20-2004, 12:15 PM
Where is the outboard motor for when the kid wants to get up and go? :D

Dave Richards
04-20-2004, 12:31 PM
Don't scare me like that, Robert! I'm already worried that one day the kid will cut it down and haul it off to a pond and try floating it. According to my calculations it will float at a displacement of up to 40 lbs. After that there's little freeboard left. I've been trying to figure out where to store it once the kid is old enough to get himself/herself in trouble.

Todd Burch
04-20-2004, 1:36 PM
Set it up on end and make a bookshelf out of it. BWAAAHAAAHAAA!!

Daniel Rabinovitz
04-21-2004, 10:52 AM
Dave
So when is the big day?
The boat, ship, skip, sailing ship, floating dream machine (I'm knot knotical)
is absolutely georgeous. What a beautiful project.
They get so old so quickly and move out of the crib.
Speaking from Grandpa Dan with a 10 month old skooter.
Daniel :D

Dave Richards
04-21-2004, 12:14 PM
Todd, I mentioned your idea to my bride. She liked it. :rolleyes:

Daniel, thanks. Launch Day (Due Date) is May 12 although mama thinks it will be sooner than that. I'm thinking we'll need to get a baby bottle to break over the bow. I wonder if I should have designed the cradle with a poop deck. :p

I'm not counting on the cradle being slept in too terribly long. Then it will become an ark for stuffed critters.

Robert Goodwin
04-21-2004, 2:10 PM
So have you broken that bottle of bubbly on the hull?

Dave Richards
04-21-2004, 2:35 PM
Is milk bubbly? :D

Robert Ducharme
04-21-2004, 7:16 PM
It bubbles if you boil it :D

Dale Thompson
04-22-2004, 9:40 PM
Dave,
What a great idea and what a GREAT job of implementing it!! I wish that I would have thought of that for our first grandson. However, he's pretty much out of a cradle at seven months but his room has a Noah's Ark theme. WOW! Why didn't I think of that? Am I repeating myself? Anyway, if you need plans for a ship's wheel, I nice guy named Dave sent me some REAL detailed plans for the "real thing". Thank you VERY much. :)

UH OH! I just remembered that my daughter is due again in December. AW -forget it. I could NEVER approach your skills. :o :o Whenever anyone uses the expression, "Whatever floats your boat", they are NEVER talking about ME. :eek: :D Thanks again for the idea, the pictures AND the plans!!

Dale T.

Bruce Page
04-22-2004, 11:11 PM
http://www.sawmillcreek.org/images/icons/icon14.gifhttp://www.sawmillcreek.org/images/icons/icon14.gif Beautiful work Dave! That’s sure to become a treasured heirloom - providing the kid dosen't take it to one of the lakes a few years from now!