PDA

View Full Version : Grizzly G1026 Shaper 1" Arbor Nut.

Chris Rosenberger
07-04-2008, 8:38 AM
I bought used Delta shaper. It has a 1" spindle & is missing the nut. Delta does not have any. While looking through the Grizzly catalog, I noticed tha Grizzly has 1" nuts in their catalog. The problem is that they do not list the threads per inch. If someone has the G1026 or any other newer shaper. Could you chech the number of threads per inch on the 1" spindle.
The spindle I have has 14 threads per inch.
Thank you.
Chris

Jeff Hallam
07-04-2008, 8:45 AM
How can Delta not have any? What kind of product support does that equal? Unless it is a generic nut that you can pick up at a hardware specialty place.

When you say 1" do you mean the size of wrench you need to tighten it or do you mean the inner diameter is 1"? Either way, I just checked McMaster-Carr and you should be able to find your nut there.

Chris Rosenberger
07-04-2008, 9:14 AM
Thanks for the reply Jeff.
Delta no longer sells a 1" spindle. I did find a Delta nut listed on a power tool parts site. They had it listed as shipping in 2 weeks. To me that means they would have to find one. I have gone through this process before. I wait more than 2 weeks & then the order is canceled & I have to start over again. The 1" size is the spindle size. The hole in the nut would be slightly smaller. I checked McMaster-Carr last night. They have 1" nuts, but not with 14 treads per inch.

Jamie Buxton
07-04-2008, 10:01 AM
Delta no longer sells a 1" spindle....

Delta's web site says the 43-495X shaper has a 1" spindle option. This is the 3 hp shaper Delta's been making for a zillion years.

http://www.deltaportercable.com/Products/ProductDetail.aspx?ProductID=11138

I fished around on Delta's site, and found that the nut's part number is 902012018553. It costs $23.69, and sure looks like it is available. Maybe I'm misinterpreting Delta's drawings, or maybe you have a different shaper, but I'd bang on Delta some more before I tried to cross-fit a Grizzly part. I'd hate to have a five-pound spindle-plus-cutter come loose at 10,000 rpm. Grizz is built in Taiwan or China and is likely to be metric. Delta's old machines are inch-based.

Peter Quinn
07-04-2008, 10:18 AM
Have you checked MikesTools.com? They have some stock and PDF files with parts break down's for many Delta shapers on their site. I was told by Delta TS that they no longer make, stock, sell or cross reference parts for many older machines, and the only hope is to find a vendor with existing stock.

Delta within the past year deemed many of their older models obsolete and no longer supports the part numbers on their site, calling them is not much help either. I'm not talking from the 50's and 60's, I'm talking from the late 80's and early 90's! Very annoying. Sound's like they really want you to buy a new machine, and in my case it certainly won't be another Delta!

You need to know the thread pitch but also the thread type. That spindle nut is some sort of square thread like an ACME thread which resists backing off much better than a standard thread. In my search for a 1/2" spindle nut (I was given a hand full of HSS 1/2" cutters new that I'd hoped to put to some use) Delta tech support could not or would not tell me the thread type and pitch to search for a replacement in the after market, nor do they cross reference the old numbers to new ones as is typical in the parts business. You should also have the 'special washer' which goes under the nut, particularly if you ever plan to reverse rotation of the spindle. That washer is critical for reverse rotation so the nut can't back off.

I simply don't believe Delta reinvented the wheel (or nut in this case). I'm sure the nut follows some standard format, but B&D seems to have no incentive to help customers with good older machines, thus I have no incentive to ever buy a new Delta machine again.

Good luck.

Douglas Brummett
07-04-2008, 10:44 AM
As mentioned earlier, call and bug Delta. More specifically call your closest authorized service center. They can look into other service center inventory. My service center down in Birmingham found me a whole set of knife screws for my jointer when nobody else had them. Once you have the specific Delta part number it will become much more successful to search the internet for it as well.

Richard Mullin
07-04-2008, 11:57 AM
My G8622 has a 1" 14TPI (60 degree V thread) Spindle.

Rod Sheridan
07-04-2008, 12:01 PM
7/16-14 is a standard UNC thread type.

If you measure the thread diameter, and the pitch (which you have) you should be able to get a nut at any industrial fastener supply.

Don't forget to check whether you need left or right hand threads, many shaper spindles use both thread directions in a locking application.........Rod.

P.S. As other people have indicated, your spindle may be metric. A 12-1.75 mm thread is a standard size, 12mm diameter and 1.75mm between threads. This would measure aproximately .470" diameter and .896" for 14 threads.

A thread gauge will tell you for sure......Rod.

Chris Rosenberger
07-04-2008, 4:18 PM
Thanks for the replies & information. I have located some nuts. I now have to wait until Monday to make some calls.

Chris

Jamie Buxton
07-04-2008, 7:52 PM
I looked again at my Delta shaper today. The spindle thread form is Acme, not the usual V-thread.

Joe Spackle
07-04-2008, 9:31 PM
I looked again at my Delta shaper today. The spindle thread form is Acme, not the usual V-thread.

that is correct the threads do not interchange.

Joe