View Full Version : Sharing Photos! My lathe and my first turning

Lizz Porter
07-04-2008, 1:58 AM
And it's not even a bonker!

From a chunk of walnut the hubby let me have from his stash, measures about 4.5" tall. Disclaimer: Used a drill press for the hole; not attacking hollow forms yet!

My first love is paper crafting, so I had to snap a pic of the vase being put to use!:D

Thanks for looking!

Jon Lanier
07-04-2008, 3:08 AM
Congratulations on the lathe. Your project looks good. I'm looking forward to see more of your work.

Judy Kingery
07-04-2008, 4:15 AM
Lizz, you're doing great! Hollow forms are not that great a leap, you'll be fine. Just take your time. Nice form, nice shape, really nice. Best to you, Jude

Bob Hallowell
07-04-2008, 8:17 AM
congrads Lizz, and your off to a great start.

Bob

Terry Quiram
07-04-2008, 8:29 AM
Lizz

Very nice. You have a good eye for proportions. I would like to offer a suggestion. Try raising your lathe a little higher. I will bet that it will be a lot more comfortable. A general rule of thumb is to have the spindle and your elbow the same height. I actually prefer mine about 1" higher than that. Keep up the good work.

robert hainstock
07-04-2008, 8:50 AM
nice "bud vase". made a few
of those myself. :):)
Bob

Lizz Porter
07-04-2008, 9:27 AM
Lizz

Very nice. You have a good eye for proportions. I would like to offer a suggestion. Try raising your lathe a little higher. I will bet that it will be a lot more comfortable. A general rule of thumb is to have the spindle and your elbow the same height. I actually prefer mine about 1" higher than that. Keep up the good work.

Thanks for the tip! This didn't take me *too* long last nght, but I can see if being an issue for longer-term projects!

Steve Schlumpf
07-04-2008, 9:46 AM
Lizz - Congrats on your new lathe! Glad to see you already put it to use! Nice little bud vase - make sure you date and sign it as there is only one 'First' turning. Have fun - looking forward to seeing more of your work real soon!

Oh - you did a good job on the photos of the vase also! To most of us the photos are harder to do than the turning!

Ken Fitzgerald
07-04-2008, 9:50 AM
Lizz.........Nice first weed pot! Excellent first turning. As mentioned by Steve, there is only 1 1st turning....date and initial it on the bottom and keep it.

Bernie Weishapl
07-04-2008, 10:14 AM
Great looking little vase. Like Steve and Ken said date, initial and keep it so a year or so down the road you can compare. Keep'em coming. By the way my lathe is 2" higher than my elbow because I don't like bending over for long periods of time.

Bill Kesler
07-04-2008, 10:50 AM
Nice vase. Look forward to seeing more. Only suggestion is to trade in the goggles for a full face shield. Mine has saved me more than once.

Richard Madison
07-04-2008, 11:09 AM
Now that's what a lathe is supposed to look like -- Got some shavings on it and under it. Way to go Lizz!

Nathan Hawkes
07-04-2008, 2:22 PM
Ditto what Richard said! The more shavings you acquire, the more future compost you have! Welcome to the forum. And, as you're probably already aware, be forewarned of the impending addiction.......................

Ron Journeau
07-04-2008, 3:34 PM
Way to go Lizz, nicely done. Having stopped a chunk of maple with my face last year, Am now a huge fan of full face gear, myself I use a Triton shield/helmet/respirator combo, but do turn with a simple face shield for the smaller stuff. Enjoy the vortex!!;)

Lizz Porter
07-04-2008, 5:31 PM
Lizz - Congrats on your new lathe! Glad to see you already put it to use! Nice little bud vase - make sure you date and sign it as there is only one 'First' turning. Have fun - looking forward to seeing more of your work real soon!

Oh - you did a good job on the photos of the vase also! To most of us the photos are harder to do than the turning!

Steve- That's the other thing... I do a LOT of photography! I actually had the backdrop and just bounced my flash off the ceiling.

Lizz Porter
07-04-2008, 5:34 PM
Nice vase. Look forward to seeing more. Only suggestion is to trade in the goggles for a full face shield. Mine has saved me more than once.
Hubby didn't make me wear it because it was so hot in there last night and I was working at a pretty low speed because I bordered on terrified for a while! LOL

I do think it's time to invest in respiratory equip... the hubs has been complaining for a while, and I was feeling it last night.

Clara Koss
07-05-2008, 9:06 PM
hey very very cute!!!!!have fun ....thanks for posting and sharing...