PDA

View Full Version : Mesquite HF/F/P

Richard Madison
07-03-2008, 6:39 PM
Another piece of Robert’s mesquite. Thank you Robert. Wish I had turned it a little more skillfully. The HF is 5” x 3” high, plus about 2-3/4” each for finial and pedestal. Guess it’s sorta ok, but I missed the shape, among other things. Too much doughnut and not enough catenary. By the time I realized this the wall was too thin to fix it.

And a question: When you glue pedestal and HF together, do you turn at least a small tenon and recess to get some side grain glue joint, or just make a plain end grain joint?

Please comment, suggest, and critique. Thanks for looking.

Steve Schlumpf
07-03-2008, 6:55 PM
Very nice work Richard! Beautiful wood and finish! I've only done a couple of hollow forms with pedestals but on those I used a small tenon and recess for the purpose you already stated - just to give the glue something to hang on to other than end grain.

This one looks really nice - looking forward to seeing your next one!

Richard Madison
07-03-2008, 8:08 PM
Thanks Steve. Of all the HF's with pedestals I have ever done, this is them. Will plan to use a small tenon and recess on the next one.

Forgot to ask if folks think it would be better if the finial and pedestal were black. Self not sure. Still a viable option, as the HF and P are not glued together yet. Finish is a couple coats of lacquer based sealer and buffed a bit, so could shoot some black lacquer on the F and P.

Thanks again. Hope to hear from Neal and Mike and some others.

Toney Robertson
07-03-2008, 8:46 PM
I think the form is just fine.

I do think that a contrasting wood for the base and finial would make it pop more.

Of course I have never done a HF so what do I know.

Toney

Jim Becker
07-03-2008, 9:29 PM
I like the piece, but I like it best with just the finial. It looks unwieldy to me with the pedestal in place.

Robert McGowen
07-03-2008, 10:08 PM
I like the piece, but I like it best with just the finial. It looks unwieldy to me with the pedestal in place.

Is "ditto" a reply? :rolleyes::);):D

Richard Madison
07-03-2008, 10:36 PM
Thanks guys. Damn sure does look top heavy. To self- "You look but you do not see, grasshopper". Will try lower camera angle tomorrow and look again. Please come back and see what you think. Maybe will need to recycle the pedestal.

Bernie Weishapl
07-03-2008, 11:41 PM
Richard great looking HF. I like it without the pedestal. I also would have made the finial a little more delicate (thinner). Just me though. Otherwise I like it a lot.

Bob Hallowell
07-04-2008, 8:21 AM
Another piece of Robert’s mesquite. Thank you Robert. Wish I had turned it a little more skillfully. The HF is 5” x 3” high, plus about 2-3/4” each for finial and pedestal. Guess it’s sorta ok, but I missed the shape, among other things. Too much doughnut and not enough catenary. By the time I realized this the wall was too thin to fix it.

And a question: When you glue pedestal and HF together, do you turn at least a small tenon and recess to get some side grain glue joint, or just make a plain end grain joint?

Please comment, suggest, and critique. Thanks for looking.

I like it with the pedestal but was thinking they would look nicer black.

Bob

robert hainstock
07-04-2008, 8:57 AM
as good as any thing i've never done. Richard, I like wood grain, and your finial is fine. not sure about the pedestal though. SAteve is right, add the tenon. :):)
ob

Richard Madison
07-04-2008, 11:27 AM
Even from a lower angle (and the camera not tilted as much this time), it still looks top heavy. If the pedestal base was a little thicker (to balance the shoulder on the finial), and larger diameter, it might look a little better balanced. Would also allow a nicer taper on pedestal stem. Will try again. Practice makes better.

Have recovered from being "wall thickness challenged", but phinial stems sometimes still a little too phat.

Will probably do black lacquer on F and P, as the wood does not match the HF.

Thanks for your help, y'all. I appreciate it.

lynn smith
07-04-2008, 1:02 PM
Nice very nice.
I like the idea of a pedestal.
What I see in my minds eye as I look at the photo's
is a shorter pedestal with a slightly larger dia base
and a shorter more delicate finial.
The piece is still stunning and creative
Thanks for sharing
I wish we could get some mesquite here in the northwest very beautiful wood.

Bill Wyko
07-04-2008, 1:37 PM
I do like it with the pedistal from this angle. Nice finish too. Over all a very good job.

Richard Madison
07-04-2008, 11:17 PM
Thanks Lynn. Started a new pedestal, about the same height but with larger diameter base, so maybe will look more balanced. Lots of motor racing to watch today and rest of weekend, so will not have results to show until next week.

Thanks Bill. Have you done a ribbon form yet? Great fun trying to glue the pieces together.

Richard Madison
07-05-2008, 7:28 PM
Managed to squeeze a little turning time amongst watching races, so here is a new pedestal. Not exactly wonderful, but maybe balances better than the first one. Still intend to do the P and F with black lacquer.

What do you think?

Edit: Tried to load 2 pictures but it won't take the original picture again, even though I changed the name. Wanted to show them side by side. Sorry about that.