PDA

View Full Version : General International 15-220-M1 benchtop spindle sander

Cary Swoveland
07-03-2008, 3:13 PM
I would like to know if anyone has this OSS, and if so, what they think of it. Here's a pic:

I've narrowed my choice to this and Jet's benchtop OSS, which is very similar. I considered the Ridgid OSS/belt sander and Grizzly's floor model, but for various reasons, am only considering the General International and Jet.

Thanks, Cary

Jeff Hallam
07-03-2008, 4:45 PM
I'm also interested in any replies. I've been wanting the floor model, but can't swallow the price tag for the amount I will use it. This is my next choice.

Ed Costello
07-03-2008, 7:23 PM
Fwiw my Jet does everything I want it to do. I bought it at about 25% off because of a dent in the cabinet. I have owned it for about a year. I use it quite often. I sand primarily hardwoods. I use the Jet sleeves and they last quite a long time. After spending hours in front of it, I decided to concentrate on my bandsaw skills. I am using the sander to remove a very small amount of material now and it works fine. I had a Ridgid...........Smart move to take it off your list

I hope this helps

Cheers,
Ed

John Hedges
07-03-2008, 7:31 PM
I have the Jet and went through the same decision process. I got the Jet because it takes a 3" spindle (the extra spindle is an accessory) and the General doesn't. Unless somethings changed the Jet is the only Benchtop I know of to take the 3" spindle, and that is the spindle I use 90% of the time.

Ron Jones near Indy
07-03-2008, 9:10 PM
I second what John said. I wouldn't want the machine without the 3" spindle.

Cary Swoveland
07-03-2008, 10:11 PM
As with the Jet, a 3" spindle is an optional accessory for the GI OSS (see bottom of page at http://www.general.ca/pagemach/machines/15220a.html).

When I said the two machines are very similar, I had noted:

- they both come with the same five sizes of spindles (length and diameters);
- the motor hp and rpms are the same;
- the table sizes are identical;
- the dust port sizes are the same (2");
- they weigh almost the same;
- the length of oscillation very close (15/16" versus 1");
- a 3" spindle is available as an accessory.

Cary

richard poitras
07-03-2008, 10:35 PM
not sure what the price's are but that could make the differance in your pic, due to the fact they sound about the same and both are quilty brand names.

Cary Swoveland
07-04-2008, 12:47 AM
The Jet sells in the US for $349-$460 (the low end being Tools Plus). It would be more in Canada, but I'm don't know who sells it. I can buy the GI in Canada (from House of Tools) for $349. (US$ and Cdn$ trade near par these days.)

Still hoping to hear from someone who has the GI.

Cary

William Addison
07-04-2008, 7:06 AM
I have had the GI for over a year and I like it. I looked at all the comparable machines and thought it was by far the most robust of the group. When it was new it was a little loud but after it was used a while it is as quiet as the rest. I bought a 3" spindle for it but they can be hard to find.

John Hedges
07-04-2008, 10:22 AM
It's good to know that GI now offers the 3" spindle it looked like a very well built machine and I have always liked General. I am assuming the motor on the GI an induction and not a universal. The last comment about the noise is one I would expect of a universal motor but I couldn't imagine GI would do that and the fact that they weigh roughly the same (both very heavy) would lead me to believe it has an induction motor. I can tell you that the Jet is whisper quiet and the Oscillation gears run in a sealed lubricated box. I think you would be happy with either machine. One note is the odd size of the Jet. I made a custom stand for mine so it would be at a good working height.

George Cooke
07-04-2008, 10:58 AM
;) You may want to check this site out for pricing. http://www.equipmentsalesandsurplus.com/index.cfm

I like to go there & drool from time to time.

Cary Swoveland
07-04-2008, 3:04 PM
It's good to know that GI now offers the 3" spindle it looked like a very well built machine and I have always liked General. I am assuming the motor on the GI an induction and not a universal. The last comment about the noise is one I would expect of a universal motor but I couldn't imagine GI would do that and the fact that they weigh roughly the same (both very heavy) would lead me to believe it has an induction motor. I can tell you that the Jet is whisper quiet and the Oscillation gears run in a sealed lubricated box. I think you would be happy with either machine. One note is the odd size of the Jet. I made a custom stand for mine so it would be at a good working height.
John, Thanks for these points. I emailed General this AM, and received the following answers:

"
1. The motor is indeed an induction type.
2. Yes the oscillation/gear mechanism does run in a sealed permanently lubricated box.
3. The 3” spindle assembly for this unit, item #15-221, retails for $65.00 CDN [about the same US] plus any applicable sales taxes.
"

The tool's manual does not mention that a 3" spindle/drum is an available accessory, so they obviously added that since the manual was published. (They should include that as an addendum.)

Cary

Thomas Pender
07-04-2008, 8:10 PM
I have the Grizzly stationary (which I got used) and the Rigid bench top. Both work very well. But, I like the table and dust control more on the Rigid, which costs a "big" $200 and the Orange Store. It is also amazingly quiet and has a dual purpose attachment. I also read reviews of it that are positive.

I use my OSS for curves and cutouts - timesaving tool, but not used nearly as much as a band saw, router, jointer, planer, etc. (I use it more than by 6 x 48 and 12" combo sander.) Still, to my mind it is not a tool I wanted to spend much money on.

John Hedges
07-04-2008, 10:44 PM
Well, you've definitely done your homework. I'd go for the cheapest, as both are robust machines. One note is that since the table tilts the dust collection sucks. I made a little cover for under the table, out of some MDF that wraps around the open front section when the table is level (which is 99% of the time). With this in place the dust collection is excellent with hardly anything left on the table. Without this the dust collection is worthless. Just the price you pay for a tilting table, but it is easy to overcome with the mod.

Yuchol Kim
07-05-2008, 12:34 AM
I have the General. I looked and compared Jet and the General literally side by side and went with the General. General has much better on/off switch, trunion looks slightly beefier and overall fit/finish was better. Keep in mind, I've been a long time fan of Jet/Powermatic for years, still am.

john blanchard
07-05-2008, 7:16 AM
I have the general, very happy with it, very solid unit, going to look into that 3" spindle.

Jeff Hallam
07-05-2008, 1:20 PM
Well, you've definitely done your homework. I'd go for the cheapest, as both are robust machines. One note is that since the table tilts the dust collection sucks. I made a little cover for under the table, out of some MDF that wraps around the open front section when the table is level (which is 99% of the time). With this in place the dust collection is excellent with hardly anything left on the table. Without this the dust collection is worthless. Just the price you pay for a tilting table, but it is easy to overcome with the mod.
Would you mind posting some pics of your DC mod? I just purchased this OSS (its your fault Cary!) and wouldn't mind rigging something up as well.

Cary Swoveland
07-06-2008, 4:59 PM
I would like to thank all who contributed to this thread, and thought it might be useful to summarize what I have learned.

The only differences between the machines that are worthy of comment seem to be the following:

- table height is 20.8” for the Jet, 18.3” for the GI;
- Jet’s warranty is five years (one year for commercial use), GI’s is lifetime for the original buyer (two years for commercial use); and
- the GI has a more convenient shut-off switch.

The two machines have identical:
- spindles and drums (1/4"x6”, 1/2"x6”, 5/8"x6”, 1.5"x5.5”, and 2"x5.5” are included, 3”x5.5” is optional);
- motor type (induction), hp and rpm;
- table size; and
- dust port size.

Both machines have their oscillation/gear mechanisms enclosed in permanently-lubricated boxes.

They differ only slightly in:
- weight (about 80 lbs.); and
- length of oscillation (1" for the Jet, 15/16" for the GI).

At this time, prices for both machines start at about $349.

Jet’s optional 3” spindle assembly (part 709534) is available from Amazon for $73. One of the Amazon reviewers noted that the corresponding table insert must be purchased separately (part 709539, about $10). The insert is not available from Amazon. It may be a special order item.

GI 3" rubber drum and spindle (15-221) retails for $65 Cdn$ (about the same in US$). I don’t know if that includes the table insert, and if it does not, whether one is available or if the Jet insert would fit.

I just bought the GI. One local dealer had it on sale for $349, so a competitor (KMS Tools) gave it to me for $329 Cdn. This may be the first time ever I’ve bought a tool in Canada for less than its best price in the US. I ordered the 3” drum.

Lastly, I’ve found two promising sources for sandpaper sleeves for these machines:

https://www.econabrasives.com/products.php?id=201&cat=81 (https://www.econabrasives.com/products.php?id=201&cat=81) and
http://www.supergrit.com/products/products_rolldrumsleeve-drumssleeves.asp (http://www.supergrit.com/products/products_rolldrumsleeve-drumssleeves.asp) .

They have very good prices and were recommended by some of their customers.

Cary

richard poitras
07-06-2008, 10:09 PM
Cary, let us know how it works out for you or some comments once you try it out..Thanks and Congratulations on the new sander :cool:

Lance Norris
06-04-2010, 5:36 PM
Ok... I realize this is an old topic, but so what. I recently purchased the General International benchtop OSS that this thread is all about, as well as the 3" spindle/drum combo and the 3" table insert for the Jet benchtop(no insert from General, the one from Jet works perfectly). This is a great sander. I am very happy with my purchase. Its BIG, powerful, heavy, all cast iron and steel, and quiet. Its the first piece of General equipment I have owned and I wouldnt have any problems buying another General machine. I also bought, off ebay, the base from a Powermatic 141 bandsaw and this is going to become the base for my General. Sanded for years on my drill press, it is nice to finally have an OSS.