PDA

View Full Version : I decided on a business name

Dave Anderson NH
04-20-2004, 6:51 AM
:) After much indecision and a lot of soul searching I finally made my decision on what to name my hand tool making business. The basement bench room in my shop is now the intergalactic headquarters of the Chester Toolworks. I almost went with Granite State Toolworks, but felt it was a bit too long, especially since eventually I'll have to develop a website. The other reason was the heritage of toolmaking in my home town of Chester, NH. In the early 1800s a local family here, the Underhills, had a forge where they made axes, farm implements, and most importantly for us woodworkers very fine chisels. Many of these chisels are still out there, and in fact I have a few myself in the larger shipwright sizes which have been passed down through the family. I also wanted to honor my little town where I've lived for the last 15 years. Since I don't expect to ever move, and I intend someday in the far far future to be dragged out of here in a rubber bag, there's no worry about having to change the name.

The next steps for me are to register the name with the Secretary of State's office, register the domain name for future use, and design a logo which is simple enough to go on a tool steel stamp for marking the tools. Thanks for the suggestions in response to my previous thread.

Jason Roehl
04-20-2004, 7:18 AM
Congrats, Dave! I like the idea of a name with local roots. I can't wait to see what you come up with for logos and a website--hopefully something worthy of the fine tools I've seen you post!

Jim Becker
04-20-2004, 7:56 AM
Good name, Dave. Don't dally on your registrations, however, especially since you've put them on a public board. You don't want some schmuck trying to profit from it!

Carl Eyman
04-20-2004, 9:24 AM
Good name, Dave, and good reason for the choice. I'd still have liked to see the profile of the OMM as the logo, tough. A bit pricy and maybe not recognized widely, but still neat if done.

Frank Pellow
04-20-2004, 9:33 AM
The name sounds good and the reason for it is sound. To me, it sounds like a company that has been inbusiness for a long time. Some day, you wil be able to look back and say that.

Dave Anderson NH
04-20-2004, 10:47 AM
The Underhill Edge Tool Company was the first real industry in town, at least until it suffered the fate of many companies in the old days and burned to the ground. It relocated to the next town (Auburn) and existed there until it it grew more and was purchased and moved again. Someday when I get a website up I'll do a history page for it, but no promises though.

Jim- I registered the domain name of chestertoolworks.com a few minutes ago and have it parked until I get time to do a website. Thanks for the heads up.

Mark Singer
04-20-2004, 11:39 AM
Dave,
Great name ....your off to a great start! Love ypur work! We are all behind you...

James Carmichael
04-20-2004, 12:06 PM
I dunno. For me, the name "Chester" brings to mind images of a gimpy Dennis Weaver hobbling along beside Marshall Dillon :D

Daniel Rabinovitz
04-21-2004, 11:03 AM
Dave
Congratulations on the name and business start.
Kay and I started Katy Dids 29 years ago.
It had transformed into various divisions over the years.
Have quite many divisions over the years also.
Right now it is a gift shop and website.
But, oh! what fun we've both had doing various things.
AND right now we are in the midst of an on-sight audit by the IRS.
Keep track of all your deposits to ALL bank accounts and WHERE those deposits came from. It took me allot of research to follow the paperwork and qualify each deposit for year 2002.
But most of all - HAVE FUN.
If I can give you any help with a website - I have a KISS website - let me know.
Daniel :)

Doug Littlejohn
04-21-2004, 7:18 PM
That's a cool name. I look forward to seeing and hopefully owning some of your products.

Good Luck !!

Dave Anderson NH
04-21-2004, 11:06 PM
Daniel- I appreciate the advice. I went through all the record keeping stuff years go with my sea kayak import business so it's not exactly unfamiliar. At least with this I don't have to deal with tariffs and customs and customs brokers. I too firmly believe in the KISS Principal, and my first effort at a website won't be too ambitious. I just might cheat and hire my 15 yo neice to do it for me. She has her own registered copy of Dreamweaver her Dad bought for her and has done several websites.

Rhetorical question: Why are there only 24 hours in a day?:rolleyes:

Ned Bulken
04-26-2004, 1:56 PM
Dave,
congratulations and best wishes with the new venture. Having just started up my own shop with my partner, I can identify with what you're going through. Now go make some sawdust and hopefully some $$!!