PDA

View Full Version : Festool Questions

Vince Shriver
07-03-2008, 2:13 PM
1. I see in the demo's that a piece of wood is placed directly upon a workbench and the guide rail then placed over the wood and the cut is made. Is the cut so accurate that nobody worries about cutting into the bench? - it just seems a little odd that there is nothing under the cut-wood to protect the bench.

2. Is the same Festool guide rail used for a router? Interchangeable?

3. Do most folks have the larger circular saw (8 1/4")? Bigger is better?

Thanks, Vince

John Sanford
07-03-2008, 2:48 PM
1. I see in the demo's that a piece of wood is placed directly upon a workbench and the guide rail then placed over the wood and the cut is made. Is the cut so accurate that nobody worries about cutting into the bench? - it just seems a little odd that there is nothing under the cut-wood to protect the bench.

Seemed odd to me, didn't think to ask the Festool rep Tuesday about it.

Yes and yes.

3. Do most folks have the larger circular saw (8 1/4")? Bigger is better? No idea.

Matt Wolboldt
07-03-2008, 2:58 PM
So I'm not sure what demo you're referring to, but if it's on the Festool website they are probably using the MFT (multifunction table). The table is designed to be cut into to help with chip out.

James Hart
07-03-2008, 3:00 PM
I asked these same questions on another forum a couple of weeks ago. Most users replied that they put a sacrificial piece under the piece they were cutting so they wouldn't cut into the table.

A couple sent pictures of tables that were cut everywhere.

My hunch on the saw is that the 55 outsells the 75. The added HP and depth of cut are probably necessary for only a small group of users. The added weight is not insignificant.

I have the 55 and used it with the rail and an mdf substrate to install a wooden floor the past couple of days. Very, very pleased with the whole setup, Beat the heck out of running out to the garage every few minutes to cut on the tablesaw.

Jim

Dan Lautner
07-03-2008, 4:44 PM
If you are cutting mostly sheet goods get the 55. If you are straight lining 1" to 2+" stock the 75 is the way to go. The 75 is a lot heavier and more cumbersome but more powerful and has a greater capacity. I have both and use the 75 only when ripping wet lumber or thick stock.

Dan

Jason White
07-03-2008, 5:11 PM
I have the TS55. I don't have the MFT (multi function table). I could barely afford the saw and vacuum!

I buy cheap hollow-core doors (about $20) and cut right through them until they fall apart. Works well. Some people here also use a sheet of rigid foam insulation. The only problem with the insulation is that the wind often catches it and it becomes a sail. Also, it's a pain to dispose of the foam when you don't want it any longer. And then there's that damned squeeking noise -- SQEEEEEEEEEK!

Jason

Chris Padilla
07-03-2008, 6:49 PM
I have the 65, which is no longer available and I love it. A tad heavy but not a big deal. My MFT is sliced up decently but I try to minimize it when possible. I often cut large sheet good on 1" or 2" thick rigid insulation/foam panels. Works great. Just a couple of bucks at the local orange or blue box.

Steveo O'Banion
07-03-2008, 9:27 PM

3. Do most folks have the larger circular saw (8 1/4")? Bigger is better?

Thanks, Vince

The depth of cut is only slightly deeper than your material cutting, so if you use a cutting table, it probably isn't a big deal having very shallow grooves in it. I cut over saw horses and it's no big deal.

I believe the same guide rail is used with the router, you can check this out on their web site or talk to a dealer. My Rockler and Woodcraft dealers let me test drive tools before I purchase, you could check this out there.

I have the TS55, really love it, fantastic for cutting cabinet grade plywood..... but I'm NOT giving up my TS!

Steve