PDA

View Full Version : What mobile base for Jet J/P 12"

Charles Green
07-03-2008, 10:32 AM
I'm ordering a Jet combo machine today. Woohoo.

What mobile base do you recommend for the Jet 12" J/P combo machine. I'm more interested in stability than movement as it won't be moved often.

Thanks

Dave Novak
07-03-2008, 12:03 PM
When I ordered my MM J/P combo I measured the precise dimensions of the base and had HTC custom build one for me. It's kind of pricey, but I've never had a smoother rolling more stable base. A month after you've overpaid you'll forget about it and love your base for life.

Bret Leishman
07-03-2008, 12:18 PM
If you are willing to consider a simpler solution to the large welded frames, check out my post on how I added Great Lakes casters to my Grizzly 12" Jointer/Planer. The idea of just using these low profile, stabilizing casters with existing attachment points (or simply reinforced if necessary) can be adapted to your situation. Post with pictures was made in this forum on 6/27/08.
http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=87130

Curt Harms
07-03-2008, 9:17 PM
I'm ordering a Jet combo machine today. Woohoo.

What mobile base do you recommend for the Jet 12" J/P combo machine. I'm more interested in stability than movement as it won't be moved often.

Thanks

If You do a search under my user name you'll likely find it. Works great, I move my Jet J/P a few times per day when I have a project going on. I'd also recommend a DRO. I'm in the process of installing a Wixey. One thing I found with a combo machine is it's nice to be able to dial in a depth of cut accurately. With a separate planer you might be able to leave the planer set for the final thickness of stock. When the same machine is also your jointer the likelihood of having to joint something requires moving the planer bed, at least on the Jet. The DRO gives the ability to return to planer mode quite accurately so it's not a problem to plane some pieces, switch to jointer mode, back to planer mode and have the second batch match the first batch. Hope this makes sense.

Curt

Bill Blevins
07-08-2008, 9:54 PM
I originally talked to HTC about a custom base, but I did not want to wait the 5 weeks quoted for the build. I ordered HTC model HSG-341 from Amazon. It is rated for 1000 lbs, but is sightly too big and the actual base is different than the picture on Amazon. It only has corner supports.

I bolted a piece of 1 1/4" maple butcher block table top to the base through the corner supports and then bolted the J/P to it. The extra weight of the maple makes the base very solid.

Steve Perez
07-08-2008, 10:07 PM
Hold off on buying a DRO for a little bit. Jet UK has already released one for their UK Jet P/T and it will only be a matter of time before Jet USA follows suit. Sorry, this doesn't concern the mobile base but I thought you might like to know.

http://www.jettools.co.uk/IMAGES/jpt_inset2.jpg file:///C:/DOCUME%7E1/PEREZ%7E1.RJR/LOCALS%7E1/Temp/moz-screenshot.jpg