PDA

View Full Version : Monkey pod 'bottle'

Jim Maxwell
07-03-2008, 5:42 AM
Found this half finished bowl during a clean up, so it got re chucked and finished off. Marked on the bottom was 'monkey pod'. After some research, I found that monkey pod is also more commonly known as raintree. It is about 120mm high, 110mm diameter and 4mm wall thickness. A simple design to display the spectacular grain patterns.
Jim

robert hainstock
07-03-2008, 8:08 AM
Very nice piece. nice form and finish (?). Looking forward to more Jim.:)
Bob

Jim Maxwell
07-03-2008, 8:13 AM
Hi Robert,
This one had three coats of a sanding sealer rubbed on with a rag, then two sprayed coats of lacquer and rubbed back with OOOO steel wool.
Jim

Steve Schlumpf
07-03-2008, 9:26 AM
Very nice HF Jim! You are right - that is some beautiful grain! Really like the small detail ring near the top - simple yet elegant! Glad you found the piece and were able to finish it! You might want to clean up your shop a little more often if this is an example of what could be hiding away!

Looking forward to your next turning!

Joseph Peacock
07-03-2008, 10:57 AM
WOW!!!!! Are you storing a genuine in that beautiful thing!?;)

Bernie Weishapl
07-03-2008, 11:10 AM
That is a mighty fine piece. I like the detail on the top.

Frank Kobilsek
07-03-2008, 2:22 PM
Jim
Nice work. I tried to buy a chunk of Monkey pod when I was on Maui last year but did not suceed. I did end up trading with a furniture maker there who sent me Ear Pod. I finally burned it. Everytime I tried to turn it my eyes would water, my nose would run and my arms would itch. I'd do two quick bottle stoppers from Ear Pod, sweep up quick and run to the shower. Did you have any reaction to the monkey pod?

Frank

Paul Engle
07-03-2008, 3:27 PM
Hey JIM ...
come clean my shop .... NICE WORK !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Doug Jones from Oregon
07-04-2008, 1:01 AM
I have turned some monkey pod with no reaction, but, I don't usually have any reaction to any woods that bother many others... I do know that Rodney from R&K has some monkey pod. I don't think he is showing it on site yet, but, you should be able to contact him.... his site is: www.randkwoodsales.net (http://www.randkwoodsales.net/)

Doug

Doug

Lizz Porter
07-04-2008, 2:02 AM
Gorgeous and a fascinating piece of wood!

Jim Maxwell
07-04-2008, 8:15 AM
Thanks for the nice comments. Frank, no, I didn't have any reaction to the monkey pod. I have never used ear pod.
Jim

Nathan Hawkes
07-04-2008, 9:11 AM
WOW. I love the grain pattern there. Any chance you'd like to fill us in on how you segmented the rim inlay?? Beautiful work, Jim.

Jim Maxwell
07-04-2008, 8:35 PM
Nathan, the decoration on the neck is a piece of veneer banding 1mm thick. The banding used on this one is factory made, lately I have been making my own bandings.
Jim

Clara Koss
07-05-2008, 9:04 PM
love round containers...very nice work...