PDA

View Full Version : DC choices

Kelly C. Hanna
04-19-2004, 11:11 PM
OK...now I have another decision to make since I ordered my first jointer (Griz 1182hw). Now the next thing I need is the DC system. I am bound by a budget of $250 (including tax/shipping). I was looking at the DC-650 Jet at Rockler ($199) and the Delta AP-400 Shopmaster at Lowe's ($159).

Does anyone here have either one and how do you like it?

Tim Morton
04-19-2004, 11:19 PM
Did you NOT like the offerings that grizzly had? I think they have a nice 2HP 220v model around your price range. i bought my 2HP at wilkes...of course its 'aging" properly before i actually hook it up...don't want to rush into anything. :D

Greg Heppeard
04-19-2004, 11:26 PM
Kelly,
Both are pretty good dust collectors. I own the small Delta. One suggestion, if I may, get the best and biggest that will fit in your shop. I have a small shop 17x22 and have to move mine from machine to machine. If you have room and $, the Jet 12 canister is a great model for a few tools....I wouldn't use it for more than maybe a 15' run and make sure to use blast gates. The small Delta I have fills quickly. I downsized the hose to 2 1/2" to increase velocity but it also reduces volume. It does, however keep my 12" Delta planer and 6" Powermatic jointer pretty free from chips. It doesn't do too great of job with my Jet Supersaw or my Jet 16" band saw, but then neither does the Shop Fox 2500 where I work, so I think it's actually the design of the machinery more than the dust collector.

Kelly C. Hanna
04-19-2004, 11:28 PM
Well I did look at them, but I want a minimum of 650 cfm and to get that from Griz would mean going over the $250 limit. That leaves me no room for any extras I might need.

Terry Hatfield
04-20-2004, 12:25 AM
Kelly,

IMHO, both choices are too small. Save your $$$ for a while lionger and get something with a 12" impeller and some good bags or a cannister. You will be much happier in the long run.

t

Kelly C. Hanna
04-20-2004, 12:43 AM
I know you are right Terry, but I have to have one soon for a big project in the shop (Oak bookcases). last time I thought I'd choke from all the dust (even with a dust mask on).

I just had a local friend offer me his Grizzly for $75. It's only going to be connected to my portable TS and a planer I will buy tomorrow (and only one at a time). Then the squirrel cage motor goes to the shop so I can get an air exchanger set up.

Kelly C. Hanna
04-20-2004, 12:55 AM
Oh yeah...hope you don't mind me borrowing your sig style. I have started a monster here in my little garage shop. Expanding into cabinetry has led me to sell all my older smaller tools and start upgrading everything as well as adding new tools to the mix like the jointer and DC. Later when I get my garage expanded a bit, I'll get a real DC system. In fact, the real one will probably be one like yours. Maybe you can give me some pointers when the time comes.

Terry Hatfield
04-20-2004, 8:35 AM
Kelly,

OK, I understand your train of thought now. Sounds like the Griz from your buddy is the thing for now. Let me know when you are ready to upgrade. I'll try and help you however I can.

No prob on the sig. :D

t

Kelly C. Hanna
04-20-2004, 9:00 AM
Thanks. I am having a blast shopping for new tools. Now that I have the DC figured out, I can afford a few of those new clamps at Rockler!

Tyler Howell
04-20-2004, 9:33 AM
OK...now I have another decision to make since I ordered my first jointer (Griz 1182hw). Now the next thing I need is the DC system. I am bound by a budget of $250 (including tax/shipping). I was looking at the DC-650 Jet at Rockler ($199) and the Delta AP-400 Shopmaster at Lowe's ($159).

Does anyone here have either one and how do you like it?
My Jet 650 Sux and does a very good job of it dedicated to one machine by a short length of hose or duct. My suggestions is save the bucks and get more suck. If you plan to DC the whole shop.;)

Tyler Howell
04-20-2004, 10:12 AM
Thanks. I am having a blast shopping for new tools. Now that I have the DC figured out, I can afford a few of those new clamps at Rockler!But you messed up big buddy! Gloats and no pix. I walked all through you New shop and didn't find any??? You're holding out.:D

I really like the lumber storage and "nesting" roller work tables.
Great idea!!

Kelly C. Hanna
04-20-2004, 12:58 PM
Thanks Tyler...the lumber storage is still there for awhile (the shop will undergo another metmorphosis this year as soon as I find donor cabinets from someone's kitchen), but the nesting tables are almost all gone. I am going to build a new workbench/outfeed table soon for the cabinet saw (when it gets here next month...haven't ordered it yet).

No pics cause nothing has hit the shop yet. The jointer is due on Friday and the DC will get here late tonite. I do have a new cordless drill, but everyone knows what they look like...:cool:

Ron McNeil
04-20-2004, 2:23 PM
Kelly, It sounds like you have your dust collector problem taken care of, but I wanted to tell you penn state sells a #DC3-1M portable for 219.95 plus 25.00 shipping and handling for a total of $244.95. It comes with a 1 micron high filtration Vu-Thru bag and 8' of duct hose that usually sells for $12.00. It's 1 1/2 H.P. motor that moves air to over 850CFM. I have a 14' x 24' shop and i put a y on it and have it hooked up to my table saw and 6" jointer using blast gates and only use one at a time. It really works great. Just thought I would mention it.

Hal Flynt
04-20-2004, 5:55 PM
I picked up a Jet 1100 at General Industrial Supply (their web sie has been down for a week now and I can't find them on Google, Maybe Ken can find Rick Warren and see what the deal is ) 2 years ago for $225 scratch and dent. It had shipped with a bad switch which was replaced on the spot. You may find a good one from someone stepping up to a cyclone.

If you go too small, you'll always wish you hadn't.

Kelly C. Hanna
04-20-2004, 5:59 PM
Thanks for the tip...I am going to upgrade as soon as I get a cabinet saw....got a line on another DC already....Jet 1200 cfm with 3 micron bag and a few other goodies. Hope the guy still has it when I get the cash!!

Tyler Howell
04-20-2004, 6:34 PM
Thanks. I am having a blast shopping for new tools. Now that I have the DC figured out, I can afford a few of those new clamps at Rockler!
One more then I'll let you rest. I wasn't happy at all with the Rockler brand bar clamp. The new 4' aluminum expandable flexs a lot under (even a light) load. Add the Rockler cushions that will slide off and you have a mess when your glue is drying and you have to change your set up. Does that sound like the voice of been there done that??

Hey man nice projects too. I like the decks.:cool:

Kelly C. Hanna
04-20-2004, 6:54 PM
Glad you told me...I better get some pipe clamps instead. I don't want them to flex that much.

Thanks for the compliments, I love building decks...maybe someday I can build one at my house :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: