PDA

View Full Version : Help with book shelf designs

Paul Ryan
07-02-2008, 10:57 PM
Hello All

I am looking for a little help this may sound dumb but, I want to build a unique book shelf for my son's room. He is only 11 months but my wife and his grandparents have already inundated us with books upon books upon books. It is my job to figure out how to store all of these. I just recently made fairly standard no frills shelf for our family room in the basement. I would like to do something more creative for my son, but my creative side just hasn't been working the past few days. I can't really come up with any cool ideas. I am looking for help. Different wood combinations, structual designs, anything. Pictures of your projects would be greatly appricated. Thanks

Larry James
07-04-2008, 8:44 PM
Paul, Google " bookshelf " - After the page loads, click on images at the top of page. You should find some ideas there.

Larry

Lee Koepke
07-05-2008, 9:33 AM
for the youngins, i would try to match some kind of 'theme' ... before i moved, one of our neighbor friends wanted me to make a bookcase that looked like a dollhouse. it was actually kinda neat looking ... alas, i never got to make it or even design it ...

what kind of stuff is already in the kids room ??? thats where I would start.

http://us.st12.yimg.com/us.st.yimg.com/I/sensoryedge_2005_67239421

theres an example. the good news, you can use paint grade materials and liven up even the simplest designs with color. If you dont faux paint well ( or at all ) use things like wrapping paper or wall paper or pictures. Make sure they wont peel easy !!

secure the bookcase to the wall to keep him from pulling it over.

hockey sticks, baseball bats, all can be used for accents ...

James Stokes
07-05-2008, 11:30 AM
I will second that on securing to the wall. Kids have a tendancy to climb on things.

Paul Ryan
07-05-2008, 5:19 PM
I had never thought of googleing bookcase. It goes to show you how my mind is working right now. I have come accross some designs but everything is so adult style if you get my meaning. I made a toy box out of oak with raised panels and large top. But the rest of the room is a sports theme. Before he was born I painted a football field on 2 of the walls. And I have a baseball ceeling fan. So a sports themed shelf would really go with the room. If you guys have any more ideas that would be great. Thanks

Joe Chritz
07-05-2008, 6:00 PM
MDF sides painted with a logo of your favorite hockey team. That would be the Red Wings for the non-hockey fans.

Use old or cheap hockey sticks for the face frame and take the blades and pin them on the top corners for accents. Make up some kind of hockey puck accents, maybe a rail for the top and you have one to go with the sports theme.

Joe