PDA

View Full Version : Adirondack Chair Pics

Andrew Pezzo
07-02-2008, 8:26 PM
After taking a lot longer than anticpated I finally finished my first non-shop related woodworking project. These chairs are made out of cypress and still need to plug the screw holes (wouldnt you know it - I buy a #8 drill/countersink bit from sears and none of thier plug cutters fit the holes, plugs are to big). Also havent decided if I want to put a sealer on them. My wife likes the aged look and I want them looking like new for a long time.

Being a novice I decided to make a prototype out of pine I had laying around since some of my early projects didnt go so well (if you search for one of my first posts on this site you will know what I mean). For all the curved parts I made templates out of mdf. Once I got the templates just right I rough cut the cypress on a bandsaw and them cleaned up the edges with router and template attached to cypress. All the seat slats, back slats, and arms were routed with roundover bit. I like the template idea as I can make more much faster.

The chairs are very comfortable. The supports for the back have a slight curve as does the section of the back legs were the seat slats lay. And the best part is they are not as low to the ground as some. Since I plan to have these for a long time I want to be able to get out of them as I get older.

Even though there are some flaws I am very proud of these. Like I said, I am complete novice and being able to complete a project like this, even though I used a plan and dont consider these to be very difficult compared to some of of things I want to make, its very satisfying. And they are done just in time for the holiday weekend.

Richard Wolf
07-02-2008, 8:29 PM
Nice job, they look great.

Richard

Joe Mioux
07-02-2008, 8:52 PM
I like them! well done!

joe

Gordy Anderson
07-02-2008, 8:53 PM
Very nice. Where did you get your plans?

Dewey Torres
07-02-2008, 8:56 PM
Flaws???

Didn't find any here!

Dewey

John Keeton
07-02-2008, 8:58 PM
Excellent job! What did you have to pay for the cypress?

Peter Quinn
07-02-2008, 9:01 PM
The only flaw I can see is there is a space in the middle of each chair where a butt ought to be relaxing! Seriously, very handsome chairs. And done just in time for the fourth! Enjoy those.

Andrew Pezzo
07-02-2008, 10:08 PM
Thanks everyone, much appreciated!

One flaw that needs to be fixed is that the chairs dont sit level but I think I know how to fix that. Fortunately the other minor flaws add to the charm being that these are outdoor chairs. Normally the flaws would bother me as I am a bit of a perfectionist but being a novice woodworker I realize its part of the learning process. I already have figured out how to compensate if and when I make another set.

Gordy - I got the plans from plansnow.com. These chairs are very similar to the ones from an old episode of the New Yankee Workshop. I narrowed it down to three different sets of plans and went with these as they were a bit more "fancy" than the others and had curved back supports for comfort

John - I dont remember excatly but somewhere around $300-$350 online, 70 board feet of 4/4 stock and 20 board feet of 8/4 stock (still have about 25% of the wood left). I was going to use cedar but the selection at my local lowes was horrible and very sparse. The local home depot didint even have cedar. Then I saw the episode of the New Yankee Workshop where Norm made one out of cypress and decided to go that route. Being new to this hobby I was amazed you could buy wood online.

Next up will be tha matching ottomans.

Jason Morgan
07-06-2008, 11:48 AM
I just finished a set of Norm's Adirondack Trio and so I am right there with you. You didnt mention if you had a plan or not. They look really good.