PDA

View Full Version : tricked out 1624-44

Mike Minto
07-02-2008, 7:02 PM
Here's a couple of photos of my lathe, a Teknatool Nova 1624-44 with SN2 chuck, BowlSurfer rest, Outrigger, and Cast Iron Stand (picked up 3 days ago!) with 200 lbs of sand ballast and a small mahogany handwheel. MUCH steadier than with the standard, folded metal legs. They flexed too much at the place where the feet screwed in (any suggestions on how to stiffen it up any more? I'd love to see some photos of how other's have worked on the ever present problem of vibration). Can't wait to turn a bowl now! Mike

Mike Peace
07-02-2008, 7:48 PM
I could be wrong but seems like if you used the bottom shelf position on your legs, you would get a lower center of gravity with your sand.

Richard Madison
07-02-2008, 7:52 PM
Looks like you have some leg cross braces near the floor that would support another weight shelf. My weight shelf (different lathe but similar layout) is at that lower level. The upper level shelf is used for sanding stuff, place to lay tools temporarily, etc.

Edit: Mike, you beat me tuit.

Mike Minto
07-02-2008, 7:57 PM
Thanks for the comments. The way the stand is designed, the legs really only have room to securely set a 2x8 on the 'upper tier', and have "cut outs" for screws or bolts to hold the wood in. I may try and add a couple more pieces of lumber and more sand on the 'bottom tier', though - it may hold if I make the fit tight. Mike

Bruce Pennell
07-02-2008, 9:01 PM
Mike you can bolt or weld tabs on your legs and bolt the lathe right to the floor. I just put 5" extensions on the legs of my PM3520b, welded tabs on and bolted it to the floor. Also aloud me to put 3 2x6 with 6- 80# bags of cement (can now add 3 to 6 more bags). My picture avatar is the old way haven't taken any pic's of the new set up yet...Bruce

Mike Minto
07-02-2008, 9:03 PM
Mike, Richard and Bruce, hadn't thought of modifying the stand, but it sounds like a great idea! I do have the stand bolted to the wooden floor, 'tho. I don't know just how much weight I can put on the shed's floor, but I'll be finding out...Mike:p

Bruce, BTW - do you have a wood or concrete floor? M2

Paul Engle
07-03-2008, 3:34 PM
Gussets at all the joints.Welded or bolted.

Jim Becker
07-03-2008, 4:03 PM
Note that if you do choose to put the weight lower by putting in a shelf, you'll want to be sure to offset things so your feet are not cramped and pushed away from the machine. If you keep the majority of the weight toward the ends, you can relieve the front of such shelf backward.

Brett Baldwin
07-03-2008, 4:09 PM
If it goes through the floor Mike, just think how much steadier it will be! You'll also be able to do your turning sitting down. Sounds like win-win to me.;)

Bruce Pennell
07-03-2008, 4:45 PM
Mike I have concrete floors in my shop....Bruce

Bruce Pennell
07-03-2008, 4:58 PM
Mike my boards are just set on top of my metal leg extensions (loose) yet with all the weight on top I have not seen them move. I cut them long enough to sit on top of the 2X2 cross braces on the bottom of my legs.

Mike just a thought, on your wood floor if you can get to it from below. I would screw some blocking in between the floor joist 2X12 or 2X10 and place a metal plate as a washer on the bottom as large as you can. It will help spread out the force of the lathe. If you think you need it....Bruce

Mike Minto
07-03-2008, 8:35 PM
Again, more brilliant simplicity from you guys here at the Creek! Why I don't think outside the box (ie, lay the boards on top of the lateral supports, instead of worrying about fitting them on the inside shallow ledges they provide) is beyond me. The more I get ideas from you guys like this, the more I expand my own thinking. Thanks for the help! Mike

Robert McGowen
07-03-2008, 10:15 PM
Make a box out of plywood that is supported by a couple of 2"x4" going across where you have the shelf now. Size the box so that it fits between the 2"x4" and screw to the 2"x4" through the walls of the box from inside the box. The bottom should be a couple of inches off of the ground. Fill it with your sand. Your center of gravity will be just off of the ground, You can still get your feet up under the lathe if you need to, and you now have the top of the box to use as a shelf. Not an original idea, but it works great for my lathe. I have 400 lbs. of concrete mix in my box on a Jet 1624.