PDA

View Full Version : un enthused no work on bench this weekend

Bart Leetch
03-10-2003, 12:29 PM
I did a lot of thinking about my bench this week end. But somehow couldn't get enthused enough to do anything on it. I am in the process of gluing up multiple layers of material. 1" plywood to chip board which will make an 2 1/2" thick top with the 1/4" masonite replaceable top. I guess I'll need to shim to get it real flat (I have no real flat top to glue this up on). This has bothered me because I want a real flat top. Also I want to put adjustable feet on this bench but don't really want the kind that bolt to the outside of the leg. I would like to have them screw up into the center of the leg some how. The only way I have figures this out is to use a bolt 3 nuts & a hard wood block. One nut mortised & epoxied into the bottom of the leg & counter bored, one nut tack welded to the bolt for a wrench to turn & one nut as a jam nut. The chunk of hard wood would be drilled & epoxied to the head of the bolt as a foot I'd just left the leg clear of the floor & use a wrench to turn the bolt & foot to adjust. Ho Hum kinda down.

Scott in Douglassville, PA
03-10-2003, 12:44 PM
Hey, Bart -

Might could use MDF in leiu of some of the ply in gluing up the top. Much flatter. Would think keeping it flat while gluing things up would be easier, too. And it's <i>so</i> much heavier.

Also, seems I've seen some adjustable levelers that are installed in a hole drilled into the leg. I'll look around a bit and see if I can find you a reference.

Don't be down - I <i>wanted</i> to work on my bench this weekend, but had to go to a birthday party for the sis-in-law instead. Would rather not want to do it and have opportunity than <i>want</i> to do it and <i>not</i> have opportunity...

Scott

Jim Izat
03-10-2003, 1:19 PM
Hey Bart,

I occasionally cover the top of my tablesaw/side table with plastic and use it for a reference flat surface for all sorts of glue ups.

Jim Izat

John Seutter
03-10-2003, 2:34 PM
You could use T-Nuts in the bottoms of the legs instead of a nut held in place by epoxy. Also, you could use a Carraige bold and use a wrench on the square portion of the shaft to adjust the hieght.

Jim Morrow
03-10-2003, 3:11 PM
Hi Bart,
I wouldn't worry about not getting enthused about working on your bench. After all we are supposed to do woodworking for fun. Some days your just not into it, so wait until you are and have fun. Now, dammitt get that bench done I want to see how it looks. ;-)
Take care,
Jim