PDA

View Full Version : propane burner recommendation?

Stephen Henderson
07-02-2008, 5:18 PM
Hello,

I had a cool natural edge bowl that i managed to knock the bark off of in one spot, and it is a glaring mistake.

I'd like to char that area down, as I've read that some people have done.

Does anyone have a recommendation on a small propane burner?

I'm looking at amazon.com, and I had no idea there are so many burners.

Some are described as needle sized flames, while some are pencil, etc.

What do you all use for this type of thing?

Thanks.

Stephen

Ken Fitzgerald
07-02-2008, 6:20 PM
Stephen....I haven't resort to that yet but I would suspect that any of the little propane or butane ones you can pickup at Walmart, K-mart or a local Borg or hardware store would work just fine. Do the burning embellisment and then resand the areas where you don't want the evidence.

Bernie Weishapl
07-02-2008, 7:26 PM
Stephen I use a soldering iron to do that to my bowls on the edge. Works great. I just flattened the tip of the element and burn away.

Bill Bolen
07-02-2008, 7:45 PM
Same as Bernie. I had an old iron left over from the days when I did stained glass. Just hold the tip on and instant black...Bill..

Burt Alcantara
07-02-2008, 10:14 PM
I use the $12 version from Lowes. Bought it mostly to keep my BBQ briquettes going but recently have begun to take it to my painted turnings. Similar to what you did, I charred a crack on the lip and actually burned a hole. I'd post a picture but I'm still not sure if I like it.

I'll probably go back and pick up a mini burner for finer burning. If you decide to go with a non-standard burner make sure you can easily get refills. The one at Lowes has the refills on display.

Burt

Stephen Henderson
07-08-2008, 2:56 PM
Thanks for your advice. the local Home Despot has just the torch. Will get it this week at lunch sometime.

When you use the burner, do you burn while the work is turning on the lathe, or do you remove it first?

Also, how far do you usually burn the wood? Do you wait for a good char? Or just until you get some darkness?

Then I assume you just sand the outer carbon part off?

Wow. Guess that was three followups.

Thanks again.

Stephen

Darryl Hansen
07-08-2008, 3:25 PM
Why not just find the piece of bark and CA it on. Sometimes you can find the pieces and reassemble them. In my shop a burner would be an instant 911 call :)

Stephen Henderson
07-08-2008, 4:31 PM
I think i would need surgery to find one of the pieces and an auto shop to pry the other one out of my wife's car door!

Good thoguht though on potential fire issues. Will remove it from lathe and do it outside shop.

Thanks!

Stephen