PDA

View Full Version : Natural Edged Aromatic Red Cedar Bowl

Fred Kogler
07-02-2008, 3:19 PM
Here's a recent attempt at using red cedar.

When I cut the blanks in the field I followed up by treating them with CedarShield. So far no checks or cracks!

I did this one with a one chuck method and three chisels...very sharp roughing gouge, fingernail grind bowl gouge 3/8", and a sharp scew for final surffacing.

It needed very little sanding...in the middle of the process I applied a second coat of CedarShield. The final product has no finish on it and is very smooth. I left it that way to enjoy the aroma longer.

robert hainstock
07-02-2008, 4:02 PM
nice NE. great oder f0r the house. :)
Bob

Steve Schlumpf
07-03-2008, 8:59 AM
Fred - that sure is some pretty wood and I am sure it smells great! You picked a fairly hard form for a bowl - at least for me - always found it difficult to make a smooth transistion from the wall to the bottom.

Joseph Peacock
07-03-2008, 11:02 AM
Niiiiiiiiice NE.;)

Bernie Weishapl
07-03-2008, 11:05 AM
Nice NE. Love turning cedar cause it makes the shop smell good. I am like Steve I don't do many like that because the form gives me trouble.

Toney Robertson
07-03-2008, 1:12 PM
Here's a recent attempt at using red cedar.

When I cut the blanks in the field I followed up by treating them with CedarShield. So far no checks or cracks!

I did this one with a one chuck method and three chisels...very sharp roughing gouge, fingernail grind bowl gouge 3/8", and a sharp scew for final surffacing.

It needed very little sanding...in the middle of the process I applied a second coat of CedarShield. The final product has no finish on it and is very smooth. I left it that way to enjoy the aroma longer.

I am interested in the Cedarshield that you used. I have looked at it but have not made the plunge of buying some.

Do you think it helped?

Did you apply the first coat right after cutting the tree up?

How long did you let it dry before turning this bowl?

Why the second coat?

TIA for any information that you can give me.

Toney

By the way - nice bowl. :)