PDA

View Full Version : Trying to make a two-sided wheel.

Dale Thompson
04-19-2004, 10:23 PM
Hi Folks,
I'm trying to make two "half" ships wheels. One will be for each front panel of my cousin's new bar (pictures were posted on my thread, "I'm the DEFINITION of UGLY!". New pictures are attached) The handles and "spokes" are already turned. I need 12 halves so I think that six of each will come close to my needs. I figure that I can slice these with a v-sled along the fence of the band saw.

My problem is the rim. I used a piece of 5/4 to make a 13" OD for the rim. When I cut in about 3/8" on the front side, I will remount the faceplate and do the same on the other side. As you can see, the rim size and hub size are already defined. I plan to put a brass insert into the hub.

Anyway, the 13" was on purpose because I had in my empty head the thought that my bandsaw was 14". It's 12". Now I have to "halve" the rim on the lathe. :o I want to save as much material as possible so my first thought was to use a hacksaw to make the cut with the lathe turning.

I'm sure that the simplest way would be to start over with a 12" rim. :cool:
However, I'm an expert at making scrap and too stubborn to start over. :eek: Any thoughts?? :) :)

Seriously though, this is one of the things that make turning SOOOOO much fun and SOOOO much of a challenge. Sooner or later, I will get SOMETHING right on that darn thing!! :cool:

Dale T.

John Miliunas
04-19-2004, 10:59 PM
Dale, I don't know that you'd get a real even thickness cut using a hacksaw blade on the lathe. I think I would go with your "plan A" anyway. I'm assuming you'd have had a way to "lock" the piece on some type of sled to do on the BS. Find absolute dead center on your stock and go in as far as you can before hitting the top blade guide assembly. Then, flip the piece end for end and go for it again. Now, go ahead and slice through the remaining part with a handsaw. I think that would afford you the least amount of wasted stock. Also, in the future, why not setup a circle-cutting jig and use your router? Fast and pretty easy. :cool:

Dale Thompson
04-19-2004, 11:26 PM
Dale, I don't know that you'd get a real even thickness cut using a hacksaw blade on the lathe. I think I would go with your "plan A" anyway. I'm assuming you'd have had a way to "lock" the piece on some type of sled to do on the BS. Find absolute dead center on your stock and go in as far as you can before hitting the top blade guide assembly. Then, flip the piece end for end and go for it again. Now, go ahead and slice through the remaining part with a handsaw. I think that would afford you the least amount of wasted stock. Also, in the future, why not setup a circle-cutting jig and use your router? Fast and pretty easy. :cool:

Hi Spring,
I just KNEW that posting pictures would draw YOU, just like putting a big old crayfish on a Musky bait up in Vilas County (or in Marinette County for that matter). :)

I had thought about your bandsaw approach but I HATE to change blades on that thing and I don't have my big "resaw" blade installed. Actually it's not the blade changing, it's the dilema of, "with the right thumb up and the left one down", which way do I twist my arms to get that nice coil in the old blade. I usually end up with one coil wrapped around my neck and the other one wrapped arround my left foot. :( :mad: :)

CIRCLE CUTTING JIG!! I've been trying to find a use for my lathe for the last six months!! I can't pass this one up. Besides, as with all of my tools (including screwdrivers), I REALLY need practice!! :o

You keep forgetting. I SPECIALIZE in SCRAP!! Do I have to post a PICTURE?? ;) :D :D

Dale T.

Bruce Page
04-19-2004, 11:31 PM
Dale, I think John made an excellent suggestion. I would not try the “powered” hacksaw idea on a diameter that large, if it were to catch, it could do some very serious damage to you before you could let go of it.

Dale Thompson
04-19-2004, 11:46 PM
Dale, I think John made an excellent suggestion. I would not try the “powered” hacksaw idea on a diameter that large, if it were to catch, it could do some very serious damage to you before you could let go of it.

Bruce,
It is such a rarity that anyone agrees with "Spring" that I will have to follow your advice. :) I'll put the resaw blade on the BS but if I hang myself trying to "coil" the existing blade, my lawyer will have a written record of those who caused my premature demise. :eek: :eek: :) Thanks, Bruce!!

Dale T.

Robert Ducharme
04-19-2004, 11:53 PM
Come on now, why the dilemma :confused: This is about the most perfect excuse I have ever seen for you to walk (crawl) into the boss and say:

Honey, my 13" wheel cannot fit in my 12" bandsaw. :( I need to get a larger bandsaw. ;) ;) Since it is a gift for a relative I am sure she would understand. :rolleyes: :)

Dave Richards
04-20-2004, 9:12 AM
Dale, I think your ship's wheel thing is going to be pretty neat. I'm interested to see how it's going to work out.

I don't know if you'd be interested in this but I have a copy of an old article that shows how to make a proper ship's wheel. I could copy it and snail mail it if you'd like. I could also send it as a Word document but its a huge file.

You might find it useful and I can see that it could be applied to your half-wheels.

Dave

Dale Thompson
04-20-2004, 8:36 PM
Come on now, why the dilemma :confused: This is about the most perfect excuse I have ever seen for you to walk (crawl) into the boss and say:

Honey, my 13" wheel cannot fit in my 12" bandsaw. :( I need to get a larger bandsaw. ;) ;) Since it is a gift for a relative I am sure she would understand. :rolleyes: :)

Robert,
I tried that. She told me to spend ten minutes and make a 12" wheel. I knew it wouldn't work twice. The last time, I made a 10" wheel and my bandsaw would only cut 8". Why is it that she can remember THAT excuse and yet has NO idea as to how pairs of shoes that she has. :confused: Go figure. :)

Dale T.

Dale Thompson
04-20-2004, 9:09 PM
Dale, I think your ship's wheel thing is going to be pretty neat. I'm interested to see how it's going to work out.

I don't know if you'd be interested in this but I have a copy of an old article that shows how to make a proper ship's wheel. I could copy it and snail mail it if you'd like. I could also send it as a Word document but its a huge file.

You might find it useful and I can see that it could be applied to your half-wheels.

Dave

Dave,
I've got Road Runner and "huge" files (as opposed to dial-up) are not a problem. If it would be easier than copying the whole thing, my email address is: firetech@new.rr.com.
I would be interested in taking a look at the REAL way to make ships wheels. As a matter of fact, I would be interested in seeing the real way to make ANYTHING. :o :eek: ;)

Again, Dave, thank you for the kind offer.

Dale T.

Dave Richards
04-20-2004, 9:21 PM
Alright Dale, I'll send it tomorrow from work.

From the work I've seen, I don't think you need to see the real way to do anything. You're a wiz with those tools and wood. :cool:

John Miliunas
04-20-2004, 9:25 PM
Alright Dale, I'll send it tomorrow from work.

From the work I've seen, I don't think you need to see the real way to do anything. You're a wiz with those tools and wood. :cool:
Yeah Dave, you got that right! The *only* thing we need to teach our Dale is that, around here, BS stands for "Bandsaw"! :D :cool:

Dale Thompson
04-20-2004, 9:52 PM
Yeah Dave, you got that right! The *only* thing we need to teach our Dale is that, around here, BS stands for "Bandsaw"! :D :cool:

Hey Spring,
A BS definition coming from YOU is quite an anomaly. Everyone in these here parts knows that BS stands for "Burning Scrap". I'm kind of a folk legend in Peshtigo because I keep everyones heating bills down by warming up the whole town with my BS! :( :cool: :)

Dale T. (What do I want for breakfast? Bananas!! What do I get? Prunes!!)

Dave Richards
04-21-2004, 6:24 AM
Burning Scrap? Now Dale, you be careful with that. Seems to me the folks in Peshtigo had a little trouble with that once a few years ago.

I have no doubt your neighbors are pleased to have you around for warmth. :D

Daniel Rabinovitz
04-21-2004, 10:25 AM
Dale
Aside from all the advise that the fellows have presented, I'll start fresh.

When you want to split some wood in half -
First glue up the inside and outside pieces with a sheet of paper between the two.
Use white glue, yellow glue, whatever.
The paper will allow you to work the project on any machine, lathe included.
Then split the inside and outside pieces by prying at the joint with something appropriate for prying.
The paper splits.
Then sand off the paper.

Best Regards and happy splitting
Daniel :D

Robert Ducharme
04-21-2004, 11:02 AM
Dale,

Anyone got a larger bandsaw close by that can do a quick split for you? This would let it get done safely and you can proceed.

Dale Thompson
04-21-2004, 9:02 PM
Burning Scrap? Now Dale, you be careful with that. Seems to me the folks in Peshtigo had a little trouble with that once a few years ago.

I have no doubt your neighbors are pleased to have you around for warmth. :D

Dave,
You're RIGHT!! After I put out the fire singlehandedly, I started rebuilding all of the structures destroyed. I'm ALMOST done! That is GOOD because I'm getting tired of living in a tent!! :( :)

Dale T.

Dale Thompson
04-22-2004, 9:06 PM
Hi Folks,
Well it's done and mounted. NEVER AGAIN!! :mad: ;) The next time I will make TWO full-sized wheels sand off the back 2/3 or so. It would have taken about 1/3 the time.

Whatever, the wheels and the wine racks in the upper back corners pretty much finished off my cousin's new bar area. The biggest problem I had with HER was that she was filling the cabinets faster than I could FINISH them.

I've bravely posted some pics. OK! I KNOW that the handles are not exactly in proportion to the rest of the wheel. I had them left over from another project and USED them!! :mad: Anyway, that's why I never charge for my work. I don't have to have a "Complaint Dept." and I can remind my "customers" that wood BURNS! :eek: ;) Anyway, THEY love it!

Wood BURNS?? Hey, I've got a whole house full of "projects". What a bonfire I can have. I think that I will call it the "Great Peshtigo Fire". How is that for creativity?? :confused: ;) :) Thanks for looking.

Dale T.

John Miliunas
04-22-2004, 9:37 PM
Dale, if you've got THAT many house projects to burn, please allow me to come over and I'll put them on MY "bonfire"! :D I'd wager a bet that, if they look anything close to your "free" work, you've got a houseful of some real beautiful stuff! The whole bar area looks great, as do the wheels.;) However did you finally get them to size? The brass inserts really give it a nice touch, as well. Quite frankly, I don't give a rat's patoot what YOU think of your work, I think you're a highly skilled craftsman and THAT'S NO BULL! :D Great job, Dale! :cool:

Dick Parr
04-22-2004, 9:47 PM
Looks real good Dale. :) The proportions don't look so bad. :confused:

Dale Thompson
04-22-2004, 10:32 PM
Dale, if you've got THAT many house projects to burn, please allow me to come over and I'll put them on MY "bonfire"! :D I'd wager a bet that, if they look anything close to your "free" work, you've got a houseful of some real beautiful stuff! The whole bar area looks great, as do the wheels.;) However did you finally get them to size? The brass inserts really give it a nice touch, as well. Quite frankly, I don't give a rat's patoot what YOU think of your work, I think you're a highly skilled craftsman and THAT'S NO BULL! Great job, Dale!

John,
OK. I cut the handles and the spindles in half with the scroll saw. That worked out pretty good because the scroll saw is one tool that doesn't totally terrify me. ;)

I don't do much resawing and have NO confidence when it comes to something like the outside rim of the wheel. As you will see later, that was probably a GOOD decision, considering my limitations. I left the rim on the lathe and used the long point of my skew to cut as deep a groove as I could while saving as much material as possible (the groove was about the width of a hacksaw blade). Then, pastor, I sinned. I didn't follow your valued counsel. I reversed the blade in my hacksaw, slowed the lathe WAY down (remember that the PM 3520 has GREAT low speed torque), and put the blade in the groove. Since I had pre-drilled, by necessity, the handle holes in the rim, it was a "rough" and slow ride. :( :mad: Whatever, the result was not perfect but it was not REAL bad either.

The rim was a 5" round piece. No sweat for a "minor "resaw" job on the BS - right!? Since the rim was "finished, I did a "soft touch" approach to the resaw. You should have been here :eek: :eek: The teeth hit the disc and it started to spin like a "runaway diesel". Since a chunk of Oak that size can "leave a mark", I backed off quickly. As luck would have it, the disc bounced off the saw table, hit the pegboard wall and then the tiled floor. Oak is hard. There was no damage. My next try was not a "soft touch" approach and it worked quite well. However, as I said earlier, "NEVER AGAIN!!)

DANG!! Only a klutz like me can make a major project out of a minor challenge. Anyway, my cousin and her husband are happy with the result and that is all that REALLY counts. :) Live and learn! I can LIVE! I just wish that I could LEARN!! ;)

Now I'm off to Oak Creek for a week to do some damage down at my daughter's house. I don't understand how a person with a NEW house can even let me CLOSE!? AW. Stupidity runs in the family!! ;)

Dale T.

Bruce Page
04-22-2004, 10:57 PM
That looks extremely nice Dale, your cousin must be thrilled!

Even if you had a complaint department, I can’t see where you’d get <S style="text-line-through: double">many</S> er, any.