PDA

View Full Version : Tent trailers

Rick Beko
07-02-2008, 1:31 PM
My wife and I are considering upgrading our camping experience to a tent trailer. Rather than buying new I would like to look at the used market. What do I need to look for? Are there any generic issues with tent trailers to keep an eye out for?

Matt Meiser
07-02-2008, 2:02 PM
Funny you should ask, as we are upgrading our camping experience from a popup to a hybrid which is a hard sided camper with beds like a popup. The buyer of our popup is supposed to be picking it up tonight and I'm picking our new one up in the morning.

Things to look for:
- Can your vehicle tow it? If not, keep looking. We literally had ours sold (at least had a $300 cash deposit) in 4 hours from when I posted the Craigslist ad because it is light enough to be towed with virtually any minivan or SUV unlike ones even just a little bigger.
- Will it really sleep the number of people it says? Our says 6. In reality, 3 adults, or 2 adults and up to 4 kids depending on their size. One of the "beds" is only about 4-1/2' long. The other is only 36" wide.
- Tent fabric--Starcraft has used something called Aqualon since early this decade, maybe a little sooner, and I'm sure others have as well. Its much better than the old canvas as far as leaks, durability, and mildew resistance, plus it dries faster. We looked at a used popup before we bought this one that was in good shape but needed new canvas and IIRC it was in the neighborhood of $1000.
- Floor -- is the floor solid? Leaks can rot out a floor. If its bad, run.
- Are all the accessories there and in good shape? Thinks like an awning that are necessities and will add up if you need to buy.
- Do all the systems work--A/C if it has it, Fridge, furnace if you plan to use it, stove, etc? Have the buyer turn on the air and fridge a few hours before you arrive so you can see that they actually get cold. Our firdge takes a while to get cold, so you wouldn't know if it worked when you first turn it on.
- Check it over carefully and make a list of what needs fixed so you can estimate what it will cost. There are tons of little do-dads that could add up--things like latches, covers, etc.
- Based on my experience selling ours, if you want a small one, be prepared to act FAST. In addition to the person buying, I had 8 more interested in just 4 hours. Two flat out said they will buy it if the deal falls through. Bigger ones are moving slower. Based on an article I read, small ones are moving fast because people are staying close to home for vacation and want campers they can tow without a big truck.
- Look at the tires. RV tires tend to dry rot long before they wear out since they sit so much. We had to replace our tires after 4-1/2 years.
- Do at least look at new. We bought the popup new because used prices weren't enough less and ours had a nice layout for the beds that was new that year. The one we are buying is also brand new, but is a 2007. We are paying less than many of the used ones I saw advertised of the same model because the dealer wants to get rid of 2007's and 08's since the 09's are coming in and sales are slow. The used ones people probably bought on credit and they owe too much to get out for much less than they paid.

Rick Beko
07-02-2008, 2:34 PM
Thanks for the response. I am looking for a 8-10' tent trailer which my SUV can pull no problem. In most cases it will be my wife and the dog. At most we would probably use it for 1-2 weeks per year so the most I plan to spend is $3500 CDN. I started looking in the classifieds so it will give me a sense of how long they stay on the market. If I see something I like I rush to see it ASAP if possible...if you snooze you lose. I am getting the sense that Canvas is being replaced by a different fabric so that will be a consideration but my price range may not fit the bill.

Mark Patoka
07-02-2008, 3:57 PM
We just sold our popup this week after having it for 16 years. Matt pretty much listed everything you need to look for. We always like looking at the new models to see what has changed and to also get an idea for prices compared to used models and features they have.

Ours still had the brown canvas and while it was still in good shape, it did need to be restitched in many of the corners over the bunks. Also look at places on the roof that can be hidden by the canvas when the bunks are out to see if there is any rotted wood or evidence of moisture that may affect things you just don't think about or see.

Matt Meiser
07-02-2008, 4:44 PM
Rick, too bad you didn't ask about 3 days earlier it sounds like ours is exactly what you are looking for, though we are about a 4 hour drive from Toronto.

Reed Wells
07-02-2008, 6:03 PM
Matt, I am not interested in camping, but when you explain something, it is always very interesting. GOOD WORK!!

Rick Beko
07-02-2008, 8:47 PM
Matt, it always seems to work that way. I am sure I will find something soon.

Rick Beko
07-03-2008, 12:38 AM
I read an article on RV fridges and how they may not get to a cool temperature if it is really hot out. Is this the case? Apparently they take up to 12 hours to get to full temperature. I found an AD for 10' tent trailer and there is no mention about it having a fridge. I thought a coolatron could be an alternative??

Matt Meiser
07-03-2008, 5:47 AM
Rick, ours always seemed to get plenty cool. It would make ice if improperly adjusted and we've had frozen meat not thaw after a few days.

Some don't have fridges. It might have an ice box or it might not have anything. My parents had one with an ice box and I think a cooler would be better than that option.

Rick Beko
07-09-2008, 10:08 PM
Thanks for the replies. Last Friday I picked up a 1998 Palomino with a 9ft box for $3500. Based on others we saw this was a steal.

Matt Meiser
07-09-2008, 11:51 PM
Congratulations Rick!