PDA

View Full Version : Craftsman Router Problem

Mac McAtee
04-19-2004, 9:37 PM
I have this Sears router, something like 2.5 or 3 hp. It has two collets for holding bits, 1/4" and 1/2". Sunday I put a 1/2" bit in the chuck and used it. Then I wanted to change bits and the trouble started. The nut that tightens every thing turned a few turns and then got a little tight. I went back and fourth a couple of times and then not having any other options just kept unscrewing. The collets are held in the recess in the shaft with a little bitty left hand thread, Phillips head, machine screw. The head of the screw pulled right through the bottom of the 1/2" collet. Just made the hole bigger. The screw, being a Phillips head, and in the bottom of a 1" or so deep hole is jammed and won't unscrew and the head is now somewhat buggered up from trying. Any ideas on how to get the silly thing out, or do I have to take the nut and collet out every time and whack it with a hammer to get the bit out of the collet?

Joe Suelter
04-19-2004, 10:35 PM
I'm pretty sure I have the same (or similar) router. But, I've never had that problem! The factory philips head screw is JUNK!!! I think mine stripped out the first week, so I replaced it with a grade 8 machine screw from Fastenal. I think if I were you I'd take it to Sears and let them deal with it. Shouldn't cost much, and you might just get a new router out of them if you complain loud enough. I know this worked with them on my first bandsaw. You can also get just about every part for that router still from them, and make the repairs yourself. Sorry I can't fix your problem, but that might just be a solution.

aurelio alarcon
04-20-2004, 10:48 PM
I have the same router as yours I believe. But I have never had this problem before and have used mine extensively. Sounds like Mac has the right answer to your problem though. I think that I'll check the screw on mine and nip it in the bud. You might try drilling a tiny hole in it and using an easy out. This usually works for me when I have a screw embedded. Additionally, I just bought a three piece "screw-out" tool set from sears and it worked excellent for me the frist time I needed it.

Mac McAtee
04-22-2004, 10:59 AM
This thread has gone so far down I doubt any will see it, but.

The Sears screw things and most easyouts are made for right hand thread. This screw is left hand thread and none of those things will work to remove a left hand thread. Now, there may be left hand easy outs, I'm sure there is, somewhere. The other thing is that this screw is about a #5 phillips head machine screw. I really don't think easy outs are that small and it is about an inch down inside a hole in the end of the router shaft.

aurelio alarcon
04-22-2004, 12:48 PM
Wow, that sounds like much more of a problem than I first thought. You might, as Joe recommends, be better off taking it back and exchanging it for another one.

Robert Ducharme
04-23-2004, 12:29 PM
Actually, if the screw is opposite the normal threading, instead of using an easy out, just drill a small hole and use a normally threaded screw as an easy out.

aurelio alarcon
04-23-2004, 1:34 PM
Actually, if the screw is opposite the normal threading, instead of using an easy out, just drill a small hole and use a normally threaded screw as an easy out.Excellent! I'll keep that in mind.

Mac McAtee
04-23-2004, 2:11 PM
Robert,
That is why you get the big bucks for your advice. Well done, thanks.
Mac :)