PDA

View Full Version : Need advice - positioning for small TS motor

Shawn Honeychurch
07-02-2008, 12:51 PM
Hello All;

I made a nice score over the weekend and pickup up a real tiny table saw. The name on it is Beaverline, Callander. It is identical to the one shown in the link below.

http://www.owwm.com/PhotoIndex/detail.aspx?id=1358

My question is, I have to build a new table base for it as the current one is shot, mine is setup exactly like the one in the link, except the motor cantilevers off the back on a big hinge so the weight of the motor creates the tension in the belt, so do I have to keep the TS itself raised on a block of wood in relation to the motor, or can the TS mount to the new base same as the motor?

Thanks

Rob Russell
07-02-2008, 2:01 PM
The height of the motor relative to the saw shouldn't make a difference. My old Craftsman saw had the motor mounted on a hinged bracket so the motor weight tensioned the belt.

If you are mounting the motor to the new table base, how will you adjust the belt tension?

BTW, looks like a neat little saw.

Shawn Honeychurch
07-02-2008, 2:51 PM
Thanks for the info Rob.

Currently mine also uses a hinged plate on the motor to tension the belt, and that is how I plan to keep it, seems like a real simple yet functional technique.

It is a great little saw, I only got a 1/3 HP motor with it, but an looking ofr a 1 HP to replace it with. Once it is done I will have a portable table saw, which will be very useful around the house and yard.