PDA

View Full Version : Foley Belsaw - Is this a good deal?

Warren E. Johnson
07-02-2008, 12:33 PM
Foley Belsaw, 12" Planer, 3HP, $250. Assuming reasonable condition, is this a good deal?

Jack Vines
07-02-2008, 3:07 PM
Yes. Especially if it has extra knives and shaper tooling. These units are capable of functioning as a shaper also. Setup is more of a hassle than a real shaper, but it will do the job if one takes the time for a careful setup.

thnx, jack vines

Peter Quinn
07-02-2008, 3:28 PM
I'd buy it if it were for sale near me. Or at least go and look at it.

jerry nazard
07-02-2008, 6:15 PM
Warren,

It is a good deal if the machine functions properly. It has been over 20 years since I have last used one of those planers, and my memories are of lots of noise, dust, and vibration. The unit that we ran shook so badly that the height adjustment had to be locked down with vise grips. It did have a nice Century motor, however, but no dust hood. Just my 00.02.

Best!

-Jerry

Matt Ranum
07-02-2008, 10:45 PM
I have one and really like it. It is noisy and does have a fair amount of vibration but it does a dang nice job with loads of power. Best part is they still make the same unit(last I checked)so parts at least for the model I have are available, looks like all they did was just put an updated cover on it.

Paul Girouard
07-02-2008, 11:33 PM
Like has been said it/ they vibrate some and the feed rate is slow , it can be sped up with a kit , I've never done it to mine.

Mine has a 5 HP 220 motor , they here / are sold with 110 HP motor so that another thing to check out , I wouldn't bother with it IF it's the 110 one.

Mines a Sears , same tool pretty much , I think and they still carry parts for it. I hope mine never quits.

http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b299/PEG688/18.jpg

George Sanders
07-03-2008, 8:03 AM
I just bought one with a 220, 3 HP Century motor for $295. Plan to get it running this weekend. I ordered new blades for it and I am looking on the web for crown molding knives. The seller powered it up for me and it ran pretty smooth. You can get all repair parts for it although they are pricey for a complete rebuild kit. Mine does need a new 20" drive belt but that one is only about $9 plus shipping. So far I am happy with my purchase.