PDA

View Full Version : Hitachi M12v2 Router Review

Robin Cruz
07-02-2008, 12:32 PM
I received the new router a few days ago. For reference I have used the Hitachi M12V for years and it is a wonderful router. I purchased the M12v2 for a 2nd router assuming it would be as capable as its predecessor. It has several defects and design faults that were so blatant I returned the unit without ever using it. I will be purchasing another manufacturer's 3 hp router after this experience. I have listed problems below and attempted a general order of importance first to last.

1) When the unit 1st starts it chatters and growls for a 1/2 second. This is with or without the collet installed and at the lowest or fastest speed and in or out of table mount. It should soft start smoothly with no mechanical chatter.

2) The tightening sleeve in the locking collet nut will not lock in place inside the nut as its designed and when a bit is inserted the sleeve breaks loose from the nut and is pushed to the bottom of the spindle opening not allowing the bit to be tightened. Once this happens the sleeve is very difficult to remove from the spindle opening.

3) The height adjust is controlled by a lever to select screw (using the knob/shaft) or free slide for course height. When the lever is engaged into the threads to use the screw adjust, the height will often suddenly slip as if the gears are not fully engaged.

4) The height stop bar, if fully retracted will offset from its guiding slot and then recess into the side of the router. The shaft then has to be manipulated with a screwdriver to return it to position.

5) The height adjust shaft/knob is attached by pushing the shaft over a recepticle with rubber o-rings to hold it in place. The shaft will then vibrate off during the first few seconds of vibration. This occurred consistently with only turning on and off the router and never actually cutting wood.

6) There are dowels inserted into the center of of height tension springs to prevent them from full collapse. When the springs are removed for table mounting, the dowels remain loosely in the shaft and cannot be easily removed. In the M12V these are metal and are easily removed.

7) Very heavy. Much more heavy and cumbersome then the M12V. 14 vs 12lbs.

8) I bought this for commonality with the M12V but even the hole pattern in the plate is different.

I'll probably try the Freud 3 1/4 HP now or look for a used M12V I guess.

Peter Quinn
07-02-2008, 3:49 PM
Sorry to hear that. I almost bought one myself. I went with the bosch 1619EVS, no complaints there. It wears its 13.2 pounds well, nice balance, good power, convenient controls. Worth a look.

Howard Rosenberg
07-02-2008, 3:54 PM
You might want to look at the Makita 3612C.
I've pushed mine - hard - since 1999.
It's never let me down.
Everyone who's got one feels the same way too.
Good luck with your research.
Howard

Matthew Voss
07-02-2008, 4:08 PM
You might want to look at the Makita 3612C.
I've pushed mine - hard - since 1999.
It's never let me down.
Everyone who's got one feels the same way too.
Good luck with your research.
Howard

+ 1 for the Makita.

Robin Cruz
07-02-2008, 5:00 PM
Makita is a good choice. Both it Freud both have adjust shafts that are long and would make table mounted use more convenient. The Bosh seems to have a short shaft. I think Ill just struggle through with moving the Hitachi from table to handheld mode while I patiently keep an eye open. Maybe find another used Hitachi M12V or a closet queen. It appears there is some new old stock out there in the 250 to 300 range.

Robin Cruz
07-03-2008, 4:48 PM
I found a new in box Hitachi M12V today locally and already installed in my table. . Reflecting on the M12V2 there is so little the M12V has in common with it. The M12V collet is subtantial and industrial. The V2 collets is this thin metal sleeve that easily breaks out of the nut. Its as if some MBAs took over the company and decided they need to emphasize marketing to yuppies and profit over engineering substance and quality product. Dime a dozen cookie cutter MBAs are going to ruin the world.