PDA

View Full Version : Tool Gloat

Daniel Heine
07-02-2008, 10:08 AM
Good morning all. It's not often that I get to post a tool gloat, so I thought I better use this apportunity. I got home from work last night to find my brand new Grizzly 10" wet grinder:

http://www.grizzlyindustrial.com/products/10-Wet-Grinder-Kit/T10010

I tried it out witrh a Tormek adapter I bought last week at Woodcraft for a gouge, and it produced a razor sharp edge. Very nice Tormek/Jet clone. I haven;t had time to really run it through it's paces, but so far, so good.

Then, best of all, I got a phonme call from Woodcraft about 7:30 PM, my new Nova 1624-44 lathe had arrived. Whoopee. I'm going to pick it up firast thing Saturday morning, and start putting her together. I can't wait. This should be a MAJOR upgrade from my 15" Palmgren/Sears lathe. The Palmgren has served me well, but it was time to upgrade. INa few months I'm planning to get the outboard turning attachment for the Nova, and I'm going to pick up a new Nova G3 chuck while I'm there as well.

What do all of you think about the G3 chuck? Should I wait and get a Vicmarc or SuperNova2?

Naturally, pictures will be posted once I have this baby up and running!!!!!

Dan

Bernie Weishapl
07-02-2008, 10:37 AM
Daniel I looked at that one. I can't remember what magazine it was but it was rated best value over the other two. So that is on my list. Congrats on the new lathe.

Daniel I guess the Tormek accessories will fit the Grizzly unit right? If so that was the only thing holding me back was turning accessories.

Steve Schlumpf
07-02-2008, 10:55 AM
Daniel - Congrats on all your new tools! Looking forward to seeing photos of your new lathe!

Mike Minto
07-02-2008, 2:27 PM
Dan, I have a 1624-44, too, which I bought with a SN2 chuck. I like it because it can do small or large pieces (with appropriate jaws). My next Nova specific upgrades were the WoodSurfer bowl rest, and the outrigger - this is very useful for large pieces or unbalanced platter type turnings. Two days ago (30 Nov 08) I put the cast iron stand on my lathe with 200 pounds of sand for ballast. I would say this is an upgrade you should consider as soon as possible. While not quite as stable as a heavy, professional lathe like a OneWay or Stubby, it has made my lathe MUCH more stable! I hope you enjoy your new toy, and post some photos of your turnings for us to admire. Mike

P.S. I have the Jet Wet sharpening system, and yes, the jigs are interchangeable between all three.

robert hainstock
07-02-2008, 2:44 PM
That's a nice haul Dan. as already posted, we'll be waiting for the pix. :D
Bob

Ron Ainge
07-02-2008, 3:10 PM
Daniel

I just checked the recommendations for the G3 and SN2 and the G3 in only recommend for material up to 14 inches in size. I don't know if you will be truning any project that are larger than that but the SN2 would provide some safety for heavier loads.

Burt Alcantara
07-02-2008, 10:20 PM
Daniel,
I've got the Nova also. It came with the G3. I could never get used to the lefty-tighty, righty-loosey so I ditched it for a Talon. I like the Talon so much I recently bought a second. I keep them both loaded with Tower jaws; #2 & #3.

The tower jaws allows me to make a deeper tenon so I get less wobble on my hollow form turnings. I haven't gotten around to making a steady so these are keeping me honest.

The advantage of the G3 is a large choice of excellent jaws. The chuck itself is well made and there's nothing wrong with it (except it's BACKWARDS!).

Burt

Daniel Heine
07-08-2008, 9:30 PM
Hello,

As promised, proof/documentation of lathe boast!!!

Dan

Greg Narozniak
07-09-2008, 7:50 AM
I just recently purchased a Nova G3 for my PSI mini and I have been thrilled with it. Like one of the others have said the tightening is backwards but I have only had it a week and I have already gotten used to it.

Although it is the only chuck I own I would buy another one without a second thought.