PDA

View Full Version : Acronyms should be outlawed

Jerry McFalls
07-02-2008, 9:44 AM
(Rant) I waste much more time trying to figure out what they mean than it takes the producer of such nonsense to go ahead and spell out what they mean. I can't tell you how many company meetings I've lost my train of thought and stopped following the meeting entirely because I've gotten lost trying to decipher some ridiculous acronym. Even when I know what the acronym stands for I loose time trying to recall what it means.

If there is a such thing as acronym mind block I must have a big case of it. The only acronym I can ever remember without any effort is CRS and I believe that must be because I think have that particular affliction. (/Rant) :)

skip coyne
07-02-2008, 10:14 AM
I agree and the same acronym can be used in two forums to mean two different things ;)

heres a list of common SMC ones to help you a bit

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=17995

Glenn Clabo
07-02-2008, 11:29 AM
You should work for DOD...even worse USN in the SS...on a SSN. If you're a MMC you have to know all about PMS...to make sure you do all your scheduled MRC's.

I've been doing this Navy stuff for 37 years...I know most of them...but the other day I went to a very high level security brief...and I still have no clue what the presenter was saying. They have their own...that are so secret...nobody can ask what they mean.

Prashun Patel
07-02-2008, 11:41 AM
Ya better get used to it. What with the kiddies and their newfangled mobile phones textin' like there's no tomorrow, those MSA's (mother-scratchin' acronyms) are OGGW (only gonna get worse).

John Schreiber
07-02-2008, 11:59 AM
I've joined the SftPaEoOA :D (Society for the Prevention and Elimination of Overused Acronyms) and we are working to stop AOS (Acronym Overuse Syndrome). ;)

Actually, I find that some people can hear an acronym and just think of it as a word. They don't need to know or care what it stands for. I'm not like that. Like you, as I hear it, I have to decode it and by that time, I may be half a paragraph behind.

If you actually find words interesting, there's a really good Wikipedia article link (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Acronym)which describes the differences between acronyms, initialisms, pseudo-acronyms, backronyms, recursive acronyms, and mixed pronunciations. One of my pet peeves is being asked for a PIN number.

John Schreiber
07-02-2008, 12:00 PM
BTW, what's CRS? Catholic Relief Service?

Dave Anderson NH
07-02-2008, 12:02 PM
Sorry John, CRS is Cold Rolled Steel.

Doug Shepard
07-02-2008, 12:08 PM
Acronyms should be outlawed

You could have saved some time by typing the common ASBO acronym:D

Greg Peterson
07-02-2008, 12:23 PM
FWIW, I occasionally suffer from RCI which in turn triggers CRS. YMMV.

Matthew Poeller
07-02-2008, 12:27 PM
This thread reminds me of George Orwell's 1984. Acronyms = New Speak?

Rob Russell
07-02-2008, 2:05 PM
Sorry John, CRS is Cold Rolled Steel.

Hmmm, I always thought it meant Can't Remember ... Stuff.

Cliff Rohrabacher
07-02-2008, 2:06 PM
IMNSHO UNTGAG & JLTRd DaL
OH BTW UNTDIPDQ

glenn bradley
07-02-2008, 3:21 PM
ETP! (Embrace the present).

glenn bradley
07-02-2008, 3:22 PM

Yes, TLA's are double-plus-good.

Dennis Peacock
07-02-2008, 3:35 PM
Ya know...I wuz doin' jest fine.......until I got to THIS thread!!!!!!

OMAH (oh my aching head). :D

Chris Padilla
07-02-2008, 4:20 PM
Some legitimate words have come from acronyms:

Laser: Light Amplification by Stimulated Emission of Radiation
Radar: RAdio Detection And Ranging

http://www.acronymfinder.com/

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=78002

Dave Lehnert
07-02-2008, 4:54 PM
I am a shopsmith user and get confused when I see a question like "Help with a SS" For years that was a ShopSmith. Now It's a SawStop.

John Schreiber
07-02-2008, 5:20 PM
Orwell has a great article on Political Communication. Political communication does not have an information component. It is intended to persuade without use of facts.

Just listen, politicians can talk for hours and never really say anything.

Mike Armstrong
07-02-2008, 5:42 PM
Ya better get used to it. . . OGGW (only gonna get worse).

Exactly! Good English and grammar are on the way out. Yesterday, I just heard about "inventive spelling" from my daughter. What a crock . . .:rolleyes:

The idea is to let kids write and ignore their spelling/grammar issues so you won't stifle their interest in writing. The theory is that they can learn the correct spelling/grammar later. Yeah, right.

When I read some of the Wikipedia page about it - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Inventive_spelling - I wanted to gag:
". . . Because knowledge is cultural, there are no right answers. . ." and ". . .These spellings are neither right nor wrong; they reflect the child's development as a speller. . ."

Mike

Art Mulder
07-02-2008, 5:44 PM
I've been doing this Navy stuff for 37 years...I know most of them...but the other day I went to a very high level security brief...and I still have no clue what the presenter was saying. They have their own...that are so secret...nobody can ask what they mean.

I've heard that NASA and the Military both have recursive acronyms. Now that would take some getting used to.

But frankly, acronyms never bothered me much. Now marketing speak... there was a time when I wanted to scream every time I heard one of them talk about "drilling down" into an issue. Argh. Then there is the way the gov't would regularly refer to us as "consumers". Err, no, I'm a person, a citizen.

but I'm getting too serious for this thread.
Sorry. IMHO. YMMV. TTFN!

...art

Tom Veatch
07-02-2008, 6:25 PM
Exactly! Good English and grammar are on the way out. Yesterday, I just heard about "inventive spelling" from my daughter. What a crock . . .:rolleyes:...

I always though the intended result of writing was to foster communication. But to achieve communication, you have to communicate. That implies some sort of standardization of the symbols so everyone both recognizes the symbol and understands it's meaning. Not much communication results when you have to puzzle out what symbol (word) the writer intended. You could be fluent in spoken Japanese, Chinese, Korean, etc., but if you can't decipher the Kanjii symbols, you're not going to be able to read it very well.

"Inventive spelling" seems to me to be somewhat analogous to everyone with a radio using "inventive frequency" selection. The end result doesn't contain a lot of communication.

Jim Becker
07-02-2008, 10:50 PM
Hey....I just couldn't get through the day without a few TLAs and FLAs thrown in. (Three Letter Acronyms and Four Letter Acronyms...) :D :D: :D

And yes, the telecom industry loves it's acronyms. When you combine the various "technical" ones (often with multiple meanings) with all the wonderful internal ones for processes and departments, etc., it gets REAL interesting.... especially on weeks like this when I'm being subjected to "Death By Conference Call"...

Dennis Peacock
07-03-2008, 6:14 PM
Hey....I just couldn't get through the day without a few TLAs and FLAs thrown in. (Three Letter Acronyms and Four Letter Acronyms...) :D :D: :D

And yes, the telecom industry loves it's acronyms. When you combine the various "technical" ones (often with multiple meanings) with all the wonderful internal ones for processes and departments, etc., it gets REAL interesting.... especially on weeks like this when I'm being subjected to "Death By Conference Call"...

The IT industry has so many acronyms that it's a language all on it's own. '

Death By Conference Call.......ROFL!!!!!!!! Good One!!!!!!!! :D :D :D

larry cronkite
07-03-2008, 8:10 PM
I always though the intended result of writing was to foster communication. But to achieve communication, you have to communicate. That implies some sort of standardization of the symbols so everyone both recognizes the symbol and understands it's meaning. Not much communication results when you have to puzzle out what symbol (word) the writer intended. You could be fluent in spoken Japanese, Chinese, Korean, etc., but if you can't decipher the Kanjii symbols, you're not going to be able to read it very well.

"Inventive spelling" seems to me to be somewhat analogous to everyone with a radio using "inventive frequency" selection. The end result doesn't contain a lot of communication.

Inventive spelling is as bad as inventive punctuation. Many don't know the correct use of "it's."
The apostrophe indicates a missing letter, not a possessive.
Whenever in doubt say "it is" instead of "it's" and if it doesn't sound right - it isn't.

Jim Becker
07-03-2008, 9:19 PM
Death By Conference Call.......ROFL!!!!!!!! Good One!!!!!!!! :D :D :D

Well look at this (Blurred) screen scrape of my week. Any place you see yellow is a conference call. Any place you don't see yellow also probably had me on the phone for incoming calls as well as some calls I initiated.

I used to chuckle about "death by PowerPoint" which most of us in business know all about...presentations with too many boring slides that the presenter insists in reading completely including the fine print. That's been eclipsed in my world now by a conference call in my left ear (the one I can actually hear with), several IM sessions on the right side of the screen and email on the left. Oh, and then there is the other computer...:o Thank goodness for wireless headsets with mute buttons. I can only "hold it" so long... :D

Justin Leiwig
07-07-2008, 3:06 PM
I used to chuckle about "death by PowerPoint" which most of us in business know all about...presentations with too many boring slides that the presenter insists in reading completely including the fine print.

We insist that my boss gets paid by the slide here at work. But that's government for you. :D

You should try deciphering between federal,state, and county acronyms all at once if you think the military is bad. I need a cross reference guide some days when the old brain is working up to par!

Tom Veatch
07-07-2008, 6:16 PM
Inventive spelling is as bad as inventive punctuation. Many don't know the correct use of "it's."
The apostrophe indicates a missing letter, not a possessive.
Whenever in doubt say "it is" instead of "it's" and if it doesn't sound right - it isn't.

Hmmmm ... pushed a button, did I?:)

But you are correct. The "its" possessive form is one of the exceptions (Rules 9/10 in the link) to the general rule of adding " 's " to form the possessive (Rule 2). (But "its" still don't look right.:confused:)

http://www.grammarbook.com/punctuation/apostro.asp

Mike Cutler
07-07-2008, 7:30 PM
Exactly! Good English and grammar are on the way out. Yesterday, I just heard about "inventive spelling" from my daughter. What a crock . . .:rolleyes:

The idea is to let kids write and ignore their spelling/grammar issues so you won't stifle their interest in writing. The theory is that they can learn the correct spelling/grammar later. Yeah, right.

When I read some of the Wikipedia page about it - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Inventive_spelling - I wanted to gag:
". . . Because knowledge is cultural, there are no right answers. . ." and ". . .These spellings are neither right nor wrong; they reflect the child's development as a speller. . ."

Mike

Some school systems tried this years ago. The only quantifiable result was that SAT scores went into the toilet.
I can't believe it's circling back.

Jim Becker
07-07-2008, 7:46 PM
Mike and Mike, for some kids, it's actually necessary to take the "lax" spelling approach. My older daughter is a prime example. She has a language based learning disability, yet is a somewhat avid and talented writer. Even though she's going into 7th grade, both we and the school are more inclined to encourage the reading and writing, despite her inability to understand the complicated spelling rules for English. Otherwise, she'll never be able to do the work. She was able to mask this problem somewhat in Russia since everything is completely phonetic under Cyrillic, although not completely. In English, spelling requires too many exceptions and rules, etc., for her.

Mike Cutler
07-07-2008, 8:41 PM
Jim

There will always be exceptions in any school, or school system. That your daughters are able to function and communicate in the short time they've been in America is simply amazing to me.
The direction, and intent, in my post was to point out some of the short term,and long term ramifications of adopting the "inventive spelling" as a general curriculum for an entire school system.

Apologies if it appeared that I was singling out any particular group. It certainly was not my intent . Anything that gets kids to read and write is a plus in my book. I don't care if they're reading comic books and Sports Illustrated.
Eventually, by association, they'll be able to apply what they've been introduced to in a more disciplined format. I'm certain that your daughter will pick up the rules by example and begin to apply them in her own fashion.

There are a lot of rules in english as spoken in America. We take so much from other languages that we almost have our own language.
I really wish I'd paid more attention in english class as a kid.:eek:

Jeff Bratt
07-07-2008, 9:03 PM
One of my pet peeves is being asked for a PIN number.

Especially at an ATM machine.

Ken Fitzgerald
07-08-2008, 12:21 AM
The sad point of children becoming so used to spelling like that is in their future. Business, science, engineering, writing....just about any profession requires proper spelling and grammar.

The same applies for folks who don't speak English well. It is the language of business. While some really talented folks can get by without speaking English well, those folks are few and far between.

Not speaking English and spelling well will be a great handicap in their future adult lives.

Andrew Derhammer
07-08-2008, 10:36 AM
Some legitimate words have come from acronyms:

Laser: Light Amplification by Stimulated Emission of Radiation
Radar: RAdio Detection And Ranging

http://www.acronymfinder.com/

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=78002
Not to mention Scuba: Self Contained Underwater Breathing Apparatus

If you guys think acronyms are bad here, don't step into my engineering classes at my highschool. Even the class names are acronyms!
Let's see we have IED, CIM, POE, DE, EDD. Then you have to know standards organizations. OSHA, DIN, ISO, ANSI, UL, JIS, DOD, MIL and the list goes on!:p

Steve Clardy
07-08-2008, 5:10 PM
Hmmm, I always thought it meant Can't Remember ... Stuff.

Same here. :D