PDA

View Full Version : Any comments on Laguna's panel saws???

Noah Levy
07-02-2008, 8:56 AM
I have an opportunity to get this Laguna saw http://www.lagunatools.com/panelsaw.2700pro.htm (http://www.lagunatools.com/panelsaw.2700pro.htm) for about $5500. The guy who has it never even unwrapped it and it's just been sitting on the pallet for the past year. I know Laguna can be nerve racking if you ever have to deal with them, but how are their Bulgarian made saws? It looks pretty good, has Baldor motors, and does not seem to have those rediculous leg struts supporting the sliding table that they show in the picture. Any comments would be most welcome.

Peter Quinn
07-02-2008, 1:49 PM
I don't know that saw but it seems like with Laguna you will be rolling the dice in many cases. Laguna owners (of which I am now one) seem to run the gamut from thrilled to furious depending on individual experiences which vary considerably. My dealings with them have been courteous but the lack of replacement parts is frustrating.

If the tool now or in the future needs parts or repairs getting them can be difficult. Every machine needs parts eventually. Further you have lost any claim to warranty in most states being the second owner, and you will have lost any leverage that may come with being the original purchaser should the need for parts or service arise in the future. Even original owners with new machines may have a difficult time getting parts from Laguna.

I am presently waiting for rails for a new slot mortiser that arrived with bent parts which make the tool nearly impossible to use and set up accurately. First I was told they do not have ANY parts for my machine from China presently. When I offered to re-crate it so they could pick it up, they told me they could take some from another machine, they have yet to arrive, but it has been less than 7 business days (I was told they were coming express).

I would actually rather any tool powered and working than wrapped and crated as it is very difficult to evaluate a used (not new from the seller) machine which is not operational, and I never like to assume that a tool works because it has not been put to use.

If neither the seller nor Laguna can offer a written warranty (or a transfer of warranty in Laguna's case) then I would keep looking or consider it a calculated risk which may curb your frustration should problems arise. Certainly consider Laguna's reputation, deserved or not, in your price value equation regarding used unwarranted equipment.

Cliff Rohrabacher
07-02-2008, 2:03 PM
I think the Hammer and MM are better saws and more reliable AND there is technical service in the USA that speaks english.

When I was looking at Laguna the sales guy told me there was no state side tech and not even a technical manual for their machinery. .

Bill Neely
07-05-2008, 11:57 PM
I'd buy the saw for that price, absolutely. It's the big brother to the TSS which is a well made, heavy duty saw.

Laguna has been selling this line for a long time and have parts available and techs who are up to speed.

If you decide to buy and need an extra clip-on support table pm me.