PDA

View Full Version : Light-colored wood to compliment mahogany?

Randall Hansen
07-02-2008, 1:41 AM
I'm building a crib with (probably) a mahogany frame, and would like to use a different, lighter wood for the slats in the sides. I like the idea of maple, but a friend tells me that it's too hard and burns too easily in a table saw. With proper care taken this doesn't seem right to me, but I'm not very experienced.

What do ya'll think of maple? If not, what other wood?

Thanks!

Mark Patoka
07-02-2008, 7:07 AM
Maple is a very good choice. To avoid burning problems you just need to be extra careful or you end up doing a little extra sanding. I wouldn't avoid it just for that reason.

Here is a jewelry chest I made using mahogany and bird's eye maple.

Randall Hansen
07-03-2008, 12:06 AM
Maple is a very good choice. To avoid burning problems you just need to be extra careful or you end up doing a little extra sanding. I wouldn't avoid it just for that reason.

Here is a jewelry chest I made using mahogany and bird's eye maple.

Oooh, that's lovely. How did you finish the woods? The maple looks very clear, and the mahogany looks dark to me.

Jim Tobias
07-03-2008, 12:15 AM
Randall,
I have used canarywood as an accent with Mahogany and I liked it. It is the panel in the top of this box. Just another option without quite as much contrast as maple.

Jim

Randall Hansen
07-03-2008, 10:31 AM
Randall,
I have used canarywood as an accent with Mahogany and I liked it.

Interesting; I love the joints on that box, and you're right that it's less contrast. I don't know much about canarywood (neither does Wikipedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Canary_wood)). Is it strong enough for this application? How expensive is it? I don't have a cut list yet, but I'll need a fair amount.

Prashun Patel
07-03-2008, 11:14 AM
I just did a bench in mahogany and eucalyptus.
The grain pattern matches the mahogany very well and some have used it as a mahogany substitute.

A BLO followed by varnish combo made the colors really pop.

Jim Tobias
07-03-2008, 11:33 AM
Randall,
I buy canarywood from Steve Wall Lumber - (not affiliated)http://www.walllumber.com/default.asp

Here is some of the pricing -
Canarywood - Yellow with Red Tints
Nice Grain Features 4/4 - $7.00
8/4 - $7.50
12/4 - $8.00

I cannot speak to its strength as I have only used it in decorative pieces.

Jim

Bill Keehn
08-07-2008, 3:47 PM
I think Sycamore would be a nice compliment. It looks nice and its not terribly expensive.