PDA

View Full Version : Dumb Finial Question

Richard Madison
07-02-2008, 12:27 AM
When making hollow forms with finials, do you ever glue the finial in place? Assume the answer is "no", but have never seen it specifically stated.

Judy Kingery
07-02-2008, 12:38 AM
Hi Richard, a good question, not dumb at all! The few times I have done finials, yes. On hollow forms, I've glued them on or in simply because I like a black ebony or contrasting wood to the box. I'd think it's fairly common to glue them, unless you really want the same wood all throughout, which is fine, too. But I do like that contrasted look to say a black finial and a lighter colored box. Just a thought. Hope you get lots of responses! Jude

robert hainstock
07-02-2008, 8:00 AM
IMHO part of the appeal of HFs is to see and feel inside at the thinness. I guess you could count on the light weight to capture the attention, but that look into the abyss with the eye is the magic of the HF.:)
Bob

Steve Schlumpf
07-02-2008, 10:57 AM
Richard - I've only made a few finials but have not glued any of them in place. Like Bob mentioned - I think it is cool to be able to look inside the form and another reason for me is it only takes a little effort to turn another finial and change the overall look of an older hollow form!

Mike Peace
07-02-2008, 11:17 AM
At a recent turning symposium, one of the presentations was on finials for HFs. The demonstrator says he does not glue in. One of the advantages was making it easier and safer to ship or pack. He turned his finials so he could insert them upside down for shipping/packing.

Bernie Weishapl
07-02-2008, 11:54 AM
I don't glue my finials in. I make the a snug fit so they can be taken out like Mike said for shipment.

Curt Fuller
07-02-2008, 6:28 PM
I've always thought they should be glued in. Otherwise it is more of a lid than a finial. But I've never heard of any rule so I'm sure it's a turners perogative. Most of the forms we turn have their roots in some sort of utility item that we've dressed up and polished to elevate it to a level of art. Glueing a finial into a vase (hollowform) seals it as an art form rather than a utility vase, if that makes any sense.

Clara Koss
07-02-2008, 7:53 PM
IMHO part of the appeal of HFs is to see and feel inside at the thinness. I guess you could count on the light weight to capture the attention, but that look into the abyss with the eye is the magic of the HF.:)
Bob

WHAAAAAAAT?????:confused:

Richard Madison
07-02-2008, 8:18 PM
Certainly most HF's are intended as "art" pieces, not to be used as containers. So there's no utilitarian value to a removeable finial. But as Robert said, the only way to confirm the great hollowing skill of the turner is by looking and feeling inside.

Hope we hear from additional experienced HF-ers on this.