View Full Version : Gloat & Tear

Stan Smith
04-19-2004, 7:57 PM
I've been using some lawsuit settlement proceeds to upgrade some tools. I alreay mentioned my new Delta 8" jointer and MM16. I also ordered a couple of items from Lie-Nielsen--a dovetail saw and small scraper plane. The final item is a Porter-Cable cpl1025 air compressor. I'm very happy with everything except the compressor. I could see that it has to go to the shop even before I got it totally assembled. The bearing cover had popped off or is missing some parts and the motor is cattywhompus to the compressor pulley. I'm hauling it into the shop in the morning--much easier to move with the wheels on. I sold my little compressor to a friend and didn't realize that I would need one just as soon as I sold the old one. Does anyone have this compressor? Comments?

Stan

Dale Thompson
04-19-2004, 11:01 PM
Stan,
I've got the PC "pancake" compressor. No problems so far. It seems to be a very reliable little unit even thought it kicks on at about every seven 3 1/2" framing nails that I drive. Problems should be PCs, not yours. Have you contacted them? :(

Dale T.

Stan Smith
04-20-2004, 2:16 PM
Hi, Dale.

Yeah, I contacted them and they said to take it to an authorized service center which I did this morning. In addition to what I already said, the guy noted that the flywheel on the compressor would not turn 360deg. He's going to tear the whole thing apart and order whatever parts he needs. He said it might have to be sent back because of the faulty weld for the motor mount. If that happens, I'm going to get a refund and drive out of town to a store and buy one off the floor that I can see is okay. This shipping damage stuff is getting old and it's not the first time for me either.

Stan

Dale Thompson
04-20-2004, 8:52 PM
Hi, Dale.

Yeah, I contacted them and they said to take it to an authorized service center which I did this morning. In addition to what I already said, the guy noted that the flywheel on the compressor would not turn 360deg. He's going to tear the whole thing apart and order whatever parts he needs. He said it might have to be sent back because of the faulty weld for the motor mount. If that happens, I'm going to get a refund and drive out of town to a store and buy one off the floor that I can see is okay. This shipping damage stuff is getting old and it's not the first time for me either.

Stan

Stan,
You certainly took the right approach. Documenting your problems without "exploding" is always the best way to get a positive response. I've been amazed at some of the things which "service" folks have done for me if I use the right approach and treat them with respect. The only exception to that is if you have a CAT! :( :) Good Luck!!

Dale T.

Stan Smith
04-20-2004, 10:02 PM
Thanks Dale. You are right; There's no sense to rant and rave about spilled milk (to coin a phrase). I counted up the damaged items I have received and it's up to 5. I guess that I'll just buy from the store in the future.

Stan