PDA

View Full Version : Cracks in thin cedar planking -- what to do?

Ben Fleis
07-01-2008, 11:54 PM
I have 6 planks of white cedar that I resawed a few days ago and stickered, and planed down today to approach final width. I planed them to ~0.2", and the final destination is 5/32" (0.156"). In any case, some of these planks have some longitudinal cracks. The question is this: are these to be expected with material this thin and light, or should I go buy some ash for the planks?

-b

Bob Smalser
07-02-2008, 9:13 PM
Repairing stock defects using epoxy is fine at this stage of construction.

But in a boat I can't imagine cedar planks thinner than a 1/4-5/16", let alone a 5/32" cedar plank. What for and why? You aren't transposing basswood guideboat plank scantlings to cedar, are you?

Ben Fleis
07-02-2008, 11:01 PM
But in a boat I can't imagine cedar planks thinner than a 1/4-5/16", let alone a 5/32" cedar plank. What for and why? You aren't transposing basswood guideboat plank scantlings to cedar, are you?

This is for a cradle boat, not the real thing. At this point, I was planning to just buy some ash in the morning and use that. Definitely preferable to epoxy...

-b

Bob Smalser
07-02-2008, 11:15 PM
This is for a cradle boat, not the real thing. At this point, I was planning to just buy some ash in the morning and use that. Definitely preferable to epoxy...

-b

As they aren't structural wood putty will work fine providing the cracks aren't so bad that the planks come apart. You may have the same problem with ash. A wood with interlocked grain like Tulip or an elm would be perfect. H. Mahog also performs well in thin scantlings.