PDA

View Full Version : 1 1/2 Sleigh Plane

Leigh Betsch
07-01-2008, 8:20 PM
I call this one a 1 1/2 Sleigh Plane. 1 1/2" blade in a plane body shaped like a sleigh.
The other pic is of a few plane irons in the rough that I made. The shoulder plane irons are 1/8" and the others are 3/16" all made from A2 tool steal, heat treated and cryogenic frozen to 60/62 Rc. Still need to be polished, sharped and chip breakers made. They are "inventory" waiting for time to make the plane bodies.

Jim Koepke
07-01-2008, 9:33 PM
Nice

jim

John Schreiber
07-02-2008, 1:07 AM
Quite an accomplishment. Once you start making your own tools, it's a slippery slope. I fully expect somebody to tell me about the iron mine they bought so they can start with raw ore.

I keep thinking I need to get a good setup for heat treating, but then I remind myself that I'm trying to work wood not metal and that I can buy some very nice blades.

Leigh Betsch
07-02-2008, 8:01 AM
There are plenty of places that do heat treating for a living. I have Metal Treaters in St. Paul MN do mine. A slippery slope indead. I just got back from picking up a bunch of aution items, all for metal working so I can make more tools.

Bill Houghton
07-02-2008, 1:16 PM
I fully expect somebody to tell me about the iron mine they bought so they can start with raw ore.

And Leigh, of course, is in the ideal location - I imagine some of the northern Minnesota mines might be available cheap.

Leigh Betsch
07-02-2008, 6:56 PM
And Leigh, of course, is in the ideal location - I imagine some of the northern Minnesota mines might be available cheap.
Not really, I'm in SD. Hard to get wood and iron out on the praire.