PDA

View Full Version : Help me Salvage a 9" Delta BS

Jose Kilpatrick
07-01-2008, 2:15 PM
I have a BS100 shop master bandsaw by delta that I purchased over a year ago. The unit is no longer functional. I always had a hard time getting the blade to track correctly and I couldnt cut a straight line freehand or with the aide of a fence. In my last attempt at tuning the thing up, I broke the blade tension mechanism. I have not looked to see if I could purchase the part yet becuase frankly, I've never been satisfied with the bandsaw in the least bit. The only usefulness I have gained from it was nibbling away waste out of notches, or cutting small stock that wasnt safe to cut on a table saw.

I have considered salvaging some of the parts for other projects such as the power switch, the motor, the light, etc.

At first, I wanted to use the motor to build a air cleaner, but I'm not sure it would be worthwhile considering what I could buy an attic fan for new.

Does anyone have any reccomendations aside from placing this thing out with the trash?

Bob Aquino
07-01-2008, 6:04 PM
Put it on Craigslist. Just mention it needs some tuning...

Barry Vabeach
07-01-2008, 8:26 PM
I had the same saw and broke the same part. I then fixed it and sold it on ebay ( with full disclosure of the repair ) and got my money back on the blades I had purchased and maybe a little for the saw itself.

David G Baker
07-01-2008, 9:45 PM
Not sure if your band saw is similar to mine, mine is a 12 inch Delta and they no longer make parts for the saw so I am out of luck unless I buy the same model band saw and take parts off of it. Didn't like the saw from the start so I will do as suggested, list it on Ebay or Craigslist with full disclosure.

Jose Kilpatrick
02-02-2009, 5:13 PM
finnally got around to finding and ordering the part.
Costs 10% of the original purchase price of the saw.

http://www.ereplacementparts.com/images/part_1341598.gif

Jose Kilpatrick
02-08-2009, 9:01 PM
After a thorough cleaning, and replacing the part that was broken, I made some guide blocks out of scrap hardwood and tuned it up appropriatley and it cuts better than it ever has. It's unfortunate, that the only item preventing this saw from cutting on spot out of the box are those cheap guide blocks bundled with the saw. All of mine were out of square and cracked. After about 10 minutes with a dovetail saw and some hardwood, I made 3 sets of wood guide blocks that keep the blade tracking like a dream.
If anyone has one of these models collecting saw dust in the corner, I'd reccomend you make your own guide blocks, re-tune it and give it a try.