PDA

View Full Version : cabinet saws, which one is best?

larry merlau
04-19-2004, 12:47 PM
i would like to hear from some of you with some opinions on which cabinet saw to purchase and reason why, have looked at delta and general and am leaning towards the 650 general. please feel free to voice your wisdom: ;)

Frank Pellow
04-19-2004, 1:03 PM
If you have not already done so, I reccomend looking at the 2004 Tool Guide which is a joint venture of Fine Homebuilding and Fine Woodworking. There is a good review of cabinet table saws there. The Edtors chose the Delta Unisaw and best overall and the readers chose the Powermtic 66. The Editors chose the Jet JTAS-10 as best value.

I don't yet own a cabinet table saw but I have used my friend's General 350. That is likely the model of saw that I will buy when I finally spring for a cabinet model.

larry merlau
04-19-2004, 1:13 PM
thanks to all that reply ;)

Dean Baumgartner
04-19-2004, 1:32 PM
Larry,
Is there some reason you're set on Delta or General? There are several other fine saws out there, Powermatic, Jet, Bridgewood, Grizzley.

When making a major purchase like this something I like to do is look at who has the fewest negative comments. Everybody will say that this or the other thing is best on their saw because it's what they're used to and it's kind of difficult to compare. But look at the problems that people have had and you'll get a good idea of how things are.

Dean

larry merlau
04-19-2004, 1:38 PM
Larry,
Is there some reason you're set on Delta or General? There are several other fine saws out there, Powermatic, Jet, Bridgewood, Grizzley.

When making a major purchase like this something I like to do is look at who has the fewest negative comments. Everybody will say that this or the other thing is best on their saw because it's what they're used to and it's kind of difficult to compare. But look at the problems that people have had and you'll get a good idea of how things are.

Dean
i have been looking for sometime now and have used a powermatic in years past and have seen some low quality in grizzly, and i also have seen some diminshing quality in delta but the reveiws in the mags.. seem to think that they are still in the running. jet hasnt enterd just to honest i dont like white:) so i do agree with your thought pattern, just like archery every one has there opinion o what bow is best.

Robert Goodwin
04-19-2004, 2:05 PM
Well, “best” is hard to define. I guess it depends what your constraints are. For me, I wanted a saw that wasn’t too awfully expensive. I opted for the Grizzly 1023S. I could not be happier with it. It probably is not the “BEST”, but it was the best for me at the time, and unless the thing breaks down beyond repair, I don’t see ever replacing it.

Bart Leetch
04-19-2004, 2:20 PM
I have a friend that has a Grizzly G1023 before there was any prefix or suffix letter other than having installed a Biesemeyer commercial fence system to replace the old style tube fence system he has done nothing to the saw & it works great. I know of a number of people on this forum & other forums that have the Grizzly G1023SL & are real pleased with their saws. I have looked at this saw in the store in Bellingham & can't see how you could go wrong purchasing one.

Steven Wilson
04-19-2004, 2:29 PM
The General and Powermatic are great saws, both have very substantial trunion assemblies. After that would be Jet and Delta, and then the others like Grizzly and Bridgewood. However, if you want the best American Style cabinet saw then you would need to look at a Northfield (http://www.northfieldwoodworking.com/tablesaws/sawroller.htm); might be a bit pricey at $25K but it is the best tablesaw out there.

John Miliunas
04-19-2004, 2:48 PM
The General and Powermatic are great saws, both have very substantial trunion assemblies. After that would be Jet and Delta, and then the others like Grizzly and Bridgewood. However, if you want the best American Style cabinet saw then you would need to look at a Northfield (http://www.northfieldwoodworking.com/tablesaws/sawroller.htm); might be a bit pricey at $25K but it is the best tablesaw out there.
Steve, slight correction. You mention the "substantial trunion assemblies" on the General and PM, but manage to put the Bridgewood at the bottom of the pile. Fact is, the BW10LTS has virtually the *identical* trunion assembly to the General and PM. Yes, Bridgewood also has two other table saws falling into the lower end of the selection, but the 10LTS has the heavier box trunion assembly, same as Gen. & PM. That said, I think just about any of the major hitters out there, manufacturing cabinet type saws, have their place. Some folks are more brand loyal than others and will base their decision on that alone and, even if there's something goofy with their equipment, won't admit it. Oh, and FWIW, the Northfield choice is just a tad out of my budget. If I were looking for a new saw today, I'd only be about $23.5K or so short! :eek: :cool:

Bart Leetch
04-19-2004, 3:08 PM
Northfield

If you have to ask how much is cost your to poor to afford one. :D :D :D

John Miliunas
04-19-2004, 3:11 PM
Bart, in my case, make that "Poor", with a capital "P"! :( :cool:

Ed Falis
04-19-2004, 3:18 PM
Looks like the sawstop cabinet saw will be available this summer. I'd certainly check it out, though it's a bit on the pricey side (~$2500 with 50" Bies fence). If it have been available when I bought, I might have gone with it.

I bought the Bridgewood BW10LTS that Dean and John have, after running up and down the price points between the Griz and the Rojek and a used SCM-3 (~$3k). Finally decided on the BW, but it was between it and the General 350/650. You won't go wrong with the General. And I'm very happy with the BW.

- Ed

Tim Sproul
04-19-2004, 3:20 PM
Larry,

IMHO....the best one is the one(s) in your shop.

IOW, choose one you can afford....you'll like it.

Tyler Howell
04-19-2004, 3:41 PM
[QUOTE=Tim Sproul]Larry,

IMHO....the best one is the one(s) in your shop.

IOW, choose one you can afford....you'll like it.

The one in my shop isn't the best. I bought what I could afford and I'm still tweaking and praying it will do something right.
I think every TS buyer should should join SMC and get the REAL SCOOP, clearly we all agree.:p At any rate I've changed my approach to toyls with the following formula.
(What you want X What you can afford + 1);) .
It hasn't failed me yet.

Jim Becker
04-19-2004, 3:50 PM
Larry, there is no one "best cabinet saw". Each has certain attributes that differentiate it; everything from cost to unique features. I have a Jet LT and it's been great. No complaints. But if I were buying today, it would be a true-slider, not a typical US-style cabinet saw. More money, but more functionality, too. Add-on sliders are available, but they are "not the same" as a native design.

The best thing for you to do is consider your budget and then pick the features and attributes you want/need to have to narrow your choices to one or two. And then ask specific questions of owners on those to make your choice.

Dave Bonde
04-19-2004, 4:06 PM
When I bought my saw a few years ago I was able to look at the General, Powermatic, Delta and Jet all the same day. I really liked the General but at that time it was only offered with a right tilt blade and I wanted a left tilt. I bought the P66 but was confident that any of the saws I looked at would have been a fine choice. As others have stated "best" has many variables when it comes to table saws. The good news is you will probably be happy with the saw you decide to buy. Dave

John Weber
04-19-2004, 6:34 PM
Larry,

I think any of the North American built saws are better the the imports. You can look at fit and finish, design features, motors and controls, whatever you choose. The North American built saws will typically lead the pack. Right now you can get a Unisaw delievered for less the $1400. A fair bit less Powermatic and General, but only a little more the an import with the same features.

John

Pat Salter
04-19-2004, 7:50 PM
I'm a unisaw fan only because it's what I've used the most. I've never touched or even seen a general or powermatic. I've worked the Uncle Sam for the last 24 yrs and he seems to favor the Delta line of almost everything. I have a feeling that it's more what is on top then what's below that matters to most folks. In other words, fence/splitter/blade guard is what we work with. Also HP (horse power on the motor) is VERY important. I've some with only 1 horse that get bogged down. If you can get the wiring for it, I would sugguest at least 3 horses 220 which will probably be 3 phase.

So, my sugguestion? see what you can afford (as mentioned before), see what your wiring will give you, keep watching for more replies here, take your time and enjoy the search! :D

Dale Thompson
04-19-2004, 9:36 PM
Larry,
The answer, of course, is your definition of "noise". Such is the case with "best TS" or any other tool. I have no basis for comparison and would not dispute anyones recommendation. I went from an old Sears contractor saw to a PM66 about 7 years ago. :D I'm not a professional (is THAT the understatement of the century or what? :( ) but my saw gets quite a bit of use. When I first got it, I spent about 6 hours setting it up. That included aligning the tables and fence, setting the miter positions, getting the guard system just right, etc.. I check a few settings every now and then but have yet to make a single change in any of them. Enough said. :) :) Good luck in your purchase. There is some good stuff out there.

Dale T.

Dean Baumgartner
04-20-2004, 1:37 PM
I'm a unisaw fan only because it's what I've used the most. I've never touched or even seen a general or powermatic. I've worked the Uncle Sam for the last 24 yrs and he seems to favor the Delta line of almost everything. I have a feeling that it's more what is on top then what's below that matters to most folks. In other words, fence/splitter/blade guard is what we work with. Also HP (horse power on the motor) is VERY important. I've some with only 1 horse that get bogged down. If you can get the wiring for it, I would sugguest at least 3 horses 220 which will probably be 3 phase.

So, my sugguestion? see what you can afford (as mentioned before), see what your wiring will give you, keep watching for more replies here, take your time and enjoy the search! :D

3 horses is almost certainly 220 v but definately not 3 phase. That would get expensive for a home shop.

I also agree that that it's what's on top that is far more visible. Most any of the major cab saws will have plenty of power for anything you could want to do, will be able to have the blade square to the miter slots etc. The big interface with the user is the fence. Look for a fence that you will be happy with and it will go a long way to making you happy with the saw you buy. I was resonably happy with the low end Delta I used to have because I had a top line fence on it. Now that I have a new saw and the same great fence I'm really happy with everything. Or will be once things slow down enough to allow for more shop time.

Dean

Dean

nic obie
04-20-2004, 2:44 PM
I agree with John M about the heavy duty Briddgewood. I think that it is, by far, the best american style cabinet saw for the $.

However I also agree with Jim B. when he says that a euro style sliding, scoring table saw is really the way to go. It's just a shame they cost so darn much.

John Miliunas
04-20-2004, 3:21 PM
However I also agree with Jim B. when he says that a euro style sliding, scoring table saw is really the way to go. It's just a shame they cost so darn muc.
Yup, only in my dreams! :( Well, at least, they're *pleasant* dreams! :D Ultimately, in the US-style saws, I'd say most all of them are good and gooderer.:rolleyes: IMHO, they're a fair sight better than your CS or bench saws and, if one can afford one, it's money well spent. No, not the same class as the Euro saws, but many folks out there are equally happy with their cream, green, gray or even that pukey yellow model! :D Just keep in mind that, one of the items you're purchasing today *with* the saw is the Customer Service behind it! That would be yet another reason I personally went with the Bridgewood. 'Course, many will say the same about Grizz, Jet, Delta and right on down the line.

OK, have we confused you enough now, Larry?:rolleyes: Bottom line, like has been said many time before, get the best you can afford, but don't rely on name alone. Most all of the cabinet saws will serve you well. Have fun and if you'd like any details on the BW10LTS specifically, feel free to PM me. :cool:

Lynn Sonier
04-20-2004, 3:26 PM
Don't exclude the Ryobi BT3100. I have had one for 2 and a half years, have used it extensively, and dearly love it. It will cut a 4 x 4 post straight through, it has plenty of power, and the sliding miter table and the fence are both exceptional. I saw one at the Cummins show Saturday for $249 and it available at the big orange box for $299.99. There are many, many serious woodcrafters who use them.

Tom Peterson
04-20-2004, 8:34 PM
Larry,
I picked up a Unisaw from WWS. I do not have it all assembled yet, (had to soak up the sun for a while) but will complete this week. The fit and finish look good, but he test will be when the power goes on Saturday. Remember to add all the equipment up. When I priced equivalent saws (mobile base, extension table, support legs, tax delivery) the price versus an import Shop Fox or Grizzly was about $100 with the package deal I bought.

Mark Singer
04-21-2004, 12:37 AM
Here we go again....PM 66....everybody has a different opinion...

Ken Salisbury
04-21-2004, 9:07 AM
The question is similiar to asking "which is the best car?" or "which is the best beer?".

There is no one answer to either question. It is a matter of matching one's requirements to what is available within a specific $ range. Also include the phase of the moon on the day you make your choice :D .

Kent Cori
04-21-2004, 9:23 AM
Ken,

Your wrong about their not being universal agreement on the best beer. It's the cold one we have in our hand of course! :D

As for cabinet saws, the answer is much the same. It is the one we have in our shop. It must have been the "best" one for our needs and constraints or we wouldn't have bought it to begin with.

Frank Pellow
04-21-2004, 9:41 AM
Ken,

Your wrong about their not being universal agreement on the best beer. It's the cold one we have in our hand of course! :D

As for cabinet saws, the answer is much the same. It is the one we have in our shop. It must have been the "best" one for our needs and constraints or we wouldn't have bought it to begin with.

Not quite right Kent. The table saw that I have is deffinately not the best. It is a 32 year old Craftsman and, with it, I need to measure every time that I set the fence or the miter guide.

Frank Pellow
04-21-2004, 10:01 AM
Thinking a little bit more about it Kent, your rule probably applies in some high percentage of cases (lets say 95 percent) for table saws purchased recently (lets say within the last 5 years). So there you have Pellow's corollary to Cori's "Table Saw Satisfaction Law".

Robert Ducharme
04-21-2004, 10:59 AM
Actually, the best one is the one that all you will pool your money together to buy and place it in MY shop :D :cool: