PDA

View Full Version : Still Reasearching

Angus Hines
07-01-2008, 10:04 AM
Can somebody with experience in each tell me the Pro's and Con's of:

Dye-Sub

CLTT

and Direct Jet Printing.

Looking for the option that gives me the most versatility in what I can and can't do.

Price is important but not a decision making factor.

Thanks ahead of time.

Doug Bergstrom
07-01-2008, 12:50 PM
Agnus,

I am currently looking into the same thing.

It depends on what type of items you want to do.

Withe the change in availability of inks and printers for Dye sub, it appears that market has changed drastically in the past 6 months or so and I am not sure how cost effective it is right now. Maybe someone can help clear that up a little more.

The laser transfer process looks promising and we are getting some of those materials in to run on our Xerox machine. For tiles, glass and mugs it seems cost effective. for shirts there are other process that work better and are more cost effective than that process.

Direct printing I believe is the way to go on shirts but I am waiting a little longer to see how the equipment is going to change over the next 6 months. There are some new technologies coming out by the end of the year and I am going to wait to see which process is going to work the best.

Keith Outten
07-02-2008, 5:34 AM
Angus,

I went with dye-sublimation because I wanted to be able to produce color photographs and graphics on Dupont Corian. Once I got our Corian process working I purchased a mug press and a second heat press so I could offer more products. The combination of laser engraving , CNC routing and dye-sublimation is tough to beat, there is a huge amount of versatility in the three techniques and they can all be used together in a project if the design works.

I'm not recommending dye-sub as it does have its down side but it works well for me, specifically it gives me a product that none of my competitors have.